Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Click for Mobile Forums

Author Topic: Turns per day recommendation?  (Read 2933 times)

Offline incountry

• VZ Team
Turns per day recommendation?
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
What are your thoughts on the number of turns per day that I should set on my winder?  I have 2 GMT's and a Sea Wolf from the late 60's and a Sea Wolf Professional and Chronograph from the early 90's; my winder slots can be set independently for the TPD.  I searched earlier posts on the subject of winders but I was not able to find anything definitive regarding the suggested turns per day for the various models.  I usually wear a different watch each day so I like to keep them wound and ready to go. Also, is there any danger of over winding them? Thanks.

Offline incountry

• VZ Team
Re: Turns per day recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
Well, it's been a week and no responses. I must have asked a top secret question that only gets answered on a need to know basis.  :helpme

Offline Ultra-Vintage

• Vintage Watch Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
No secret, I missed the post.  My bad. 

I do not use winders, however, I have some info that may help.  The automatic winding of most watches is meant to be a gradual thing.  Most Seawolfs take 17 - 20 full manual winds before the barrel starts slipping.  Through recent experimentation I found that those 17-20 winds correlates to 250 - 270 advancement clicks of the barrel wheel.  The rotor must rotate 3.5 times to advance the barrel wheel one click, so that means that from a dead stop to fully wound the rotor would have to make 900 - 1000 full revolutions.  The watch cannot be overwound, it is designed to allow continual winding.

What are the possible speed settings?

Offline incountry

• VZ Team
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »
Thanks U-V, I appreciate your response.  Knowing that they cannot be overwound is a relief to me.  The winder has 17 settings available; the minimum turns per day is 650 and the maximum is 3600.  Currently I have them all set at 1440 TPD.  From what you said, it seems that they'll be fine if I turn them down to about 900 TPD.  Is that correct?
 :BGW:     

Offline rdenney

• VZ Team
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:08 AM »
That's where I run mine, and they seem to stay wound.

Rick "thinking these need a bit more than a 2892 or 2824" Denney

Offline Ultra-Vintage

• Vintage Watch Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »
Thanks U-V, I appreciate your response.  Knowing that they cannot be overwound is a relief to me.  The winder has 17 settings available; the minimum turns per day is 650 and the maximum is 3600.  Currently I have them all set at 1440 TPD.  From what you said, it seems that they'll be fine if I turn them down to about 900 TPD.  Is that correct?
 :BGW:   

I think 900 a day should be fine.  Especially since it is constant and does not have to play catch up from a period where it was not being wound.

Offline incountry

• VZ Team
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
Rick and U-V; Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.  I got my winder :#Rulz now!

CopyrightŠ 2017, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

Advertising Information  |  Privacy Policy  |  About Us 

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign
  Top Watch Sites