Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Author Topic: My old green-faced Astrographic  (Read 273 times)

Offline rpmnow1

My old green-faced Astrographic
« on: April 02, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
Many years ago (1971 or 2) I bought my green-faced Zodiac Astrographic ("Airborne Watch") at the old "Airborne PX" at Fort Bragg, N.C.  Though not really knowing much about watches I must have thought it was beautiful - and I must have been right (not something I could always count on [being right] across time).  : )  However, being stupid at the same time I replaced the original gold band with a leather one, because leather watch bands were cool in the day, and proceeded to lose the original band / or threw it out or something.  And I wore the Astrographic for a while before putting it away in my dresser drawer where it stayed for many moon.

Last year I pulled it out of my dresser, dusted it off, put it on, and began to fall in love with it again.  It had a couple problems though;  the leather band just wasn't cutting it, and the crystal was badly scratched.  I found a similar gold plated band online.   As for the crystal, however, I kept hearing rumors about the existence of aftermarket replacement ones - maybe even some NOS versions, but was never able to find one for sale.

I also couldn't find any jewelers who were knowledgable and / or confident and / or willing to polish the crystal so I did some research and found diamond grease online and cotton-tipped conical Dremel tool type buffers and went ahead and polished out the scratches myslelf.  I have a habit of doing things myself, expecially if it's the only way I can see something getting done that's important to me.  I think for a polished (versus new) crystal it turned out just fine - and further deepened my love for Airborne Watch.  I've included some before (cyrstal) and after pictures.

Still, I woundn't mind having a backup crystal if anyone ever finds a source.  Thanks for reading about my Astrographic!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:24:09 PM by rpmnow1 »

Offline Butch

• My postings are my personal opinons based on 25 years of collecting Zodiacs and the reference materials in my possession.
  • Global Moderator
  • Butch@VintageZodiacs.com
    • Zodiac Watch Research
Re: My old green-faced Astrographic
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »
Nice story for a nice watch! Thanks for sharing it with us. Welcome aboard.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Offline rpmnow1

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »
Thanks, Butch.  Glad to be on board! 

Offline rpmnow1

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
Blurry picture but shows the color and shape of a 1971/2 gold Zodiac Astrographic when I was out getting scratches on the crystal.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 05:00:15 PM by rpmnow1 »

CopyrightŠ 2019, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

Advertising Information  |  Privacy Policy  |  About Us 

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign