News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

1st Seawolf

Started by Scorpio55, March 18, 2012, 11:24:50 PM

Scorpio55

:wehe I just won what I believe was a good deal and I feel happy I was able to get it.  What is this wonderful news you ask.... I just purchased my 1st Zodiac Seawolf. :P
Read you 5 X 5.

jon p

:welc :welc        looks good, did you get it from big ben watches???

Butch

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but do you realize that your Sea Wolf has a bezel from a GMT on it?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

i noticed that too, but i didnt want to say anything to burst  anyones bubble!!                           it is an early SW , note the shape of the date window, small numbers show  that it is a redial, hands look to be LATE 60s. this is why this forum is here, to verify if the watch is correct or not. dont feel bad, it still is a good looking watch. we ALL have made purchase mistakes, just a learning process and part of the hobby.

Butch

I think the the hands are OK, see the advertisements. Based on the sideways picture anyway, the dial looks original to me.

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/p7lsm_img_1/fullsize/1963SeaWolf_fs.jpg

Gropo

Just came across your site, and I need to relate to you a story about a Sea Wolf.  Back in 1966, by brother (who was in the military overseas) bought me a Sea Wolf for my high school graduation.  It was the best watch I ever had, or have had since.  That watch was never off my wrist.  Kept perfect time (gained about 1 minute per year - self winding).  It was exposed to sand and water while I was a life guard, and I wore it constantly thru basic training and in the Army.  Then about 6 years after getting it, it started to slow down.  I took it to every jeweler I could, and nobody work work on it.  I finally found a guy in New York who would.  I mailed it to him, and did hear back for several months.  I mailed a letter, and it came back "Addressee Deceased".  I wrote to the New York States Attorney, and about a month later received an envelop with the watch in it -- in pieces!  This was in pre-internet days, and I couldn't find another person in the US that would work on it.  I even wrote to Zodiac in Switzerland.  Over the years, it has gone missing.
I still lament the loss of the best watch ever made.

jon p

butch, i stand corrected, this is why we keep you around!! i thought the odd shape date window models had the hands without the center vein---MY BAD!!!  i still think the numbers look TOO SMALL.

Scorpio55

:shuc :yeller
I guess I did not do my home work and I should have posted the photo sooner.
I am not sure, but I can correct the bezel to the correct type for the watch, but the comments about the dial has me abit worried, is or is not this a SW. :-\
Read you 5 X 5.

Scorpio55

Quote from: jon p on March 19, 2012, 08:48:37 AM
:welc :welc        looks good, did you get it from big ben watches???
Thanks for the welcome jon p.  No sir, I did not get the watch from big ben, I won the watch on eBay from timeessence.
He discribed the watch as follows: Authentic Zodiac Seawolf, original refurbished black dial, original hands, acrylic crystal, Zodiac crown.
Bezel rotates but does not click.
Watch has been serviced by cleaning and oiling 2 weeks ago.
His score is high, no neg.s, consistently receives the following remarks: Excellent Seller, as discribed, fast ship, great packaging.
I will admitt I noticed the bezel did not look the same as what was on the other Seawolfs, but I also have seen many differant looks to bezels on them as well!
I paid $177.49 + ship.
So with all said @ the end of the day, given that there are some differances, I still am happy with the watch.
Maybe I can send in and have whatever needs replaced, replaced to make it factory. ;D
Read you 5 X 5.

jon p

:ur :ur                  you did not do too bad, it looks good with the redial--"refurbished" as the seller stated. you can spot the redials as they never seem to get the right size numbers in the triangle, see the gallery to look at original dials and you will see what i mean. original zodiac factory numbers fill up the triangle.  did it come with a bracelet? keep your eyes open , every so often a SW bezel will show up, but get ready they arent cheap! they came with dull chrome bezels, gold bezels and around early 70s the plastic insert bezel in different colors. the bezel on yours, as butch stated, is off a 60s zodiac gmt, and has been polished AND bright plated. original finish was a dull flat chrome over brass. most bezels will not click any longer, the tiny ball behind it is missing or the click holes on the back of the brass bezel  are worn out. just be sure it is not loose on the watch, they can come off and get lost. NOT A GOOD THING!!! hope i have been some help, you paid a decent price so enjoy it and  wear it. by the way, the bracelet lug width is 17.5MM.

Scorpio55

Quote from: jon p on March 19, 2012, 10:42:52 PM
:ur :ur                  you did not do too bad, it looks good with the redial--"refurbished" as the seller stated. you can spot the redials as they never seem to get the right size numbers in the triangle, see the gallery to look at original dials and you will see what i mean. original zodiac factory numbers fill up the triangle.  did it come with a bracelet? keep your eyes open , every so often a SW bezel will show up, but get ready they arent cheap! they came with dull chrome bezels, gold bezels and around early 70s the plastic insert bezel in different colors. the bezel on yours, as butch stated, is off a 60s zodiac gmt, and has been polished AND bright plated. original finish was a dull flat chrome over brass. most bezels will not click any longer, the tiny ball behind it is missing or the click holes on the back of the brass bezel  are worn out. just be sure it is not loose on the watch, they can come off and get lost. NOT A GOOD THING!!! hope i have been some help, you paid a decent price so enjoy it and  wear it. by the way, the bracelet lug width is 17.5MM.
Thanks for all the help, you know, I contacted the guy I had purchased from and asked him about all the items you pointed out, I also asked if the watch had for sure been serviced as listed and he agreed the watch was not truely a SW as listed, allowed me to forgo purchase after asking these questions.  I had to think about it, but given that it was not a true SW and had some replaced parts, I opted for his offer to forgo the purchase.  I believe I made the right choice, too many things did not jive and the part about the servicing seemed abit vague, by they way, this watch was coming from Asia!  I think the guy did right by me and I hope to be a customer again because he was so willing to help and allow me out of the purchase. :agreei
Read you 5 X 5.

Butch

I don't think you had a bad price on it, but finding the right bezel would have been very difficult. You probably made the right choice. Nice that the seller let you out of it too.

jon p

:wehe  i am hearing a big sigh of relief----i think you really hit it lucky to find a seller that would take it back, good person to deal with. i know you understand that we were NOT shooting down your watch, but i WOULD want the members to let me know if i make a bad purchase, as i HAVE  done in the past. save your hard earned cash to put towards a 100% sea wolf, there are a BUNCH of nice ones available!!

Scorpio55

Butch
jon p

Thanks much for you willingless to tell the truth and help to correct my error......... :ur

Yes, I was very favored to find a seller that wanted to make me more happy than turn a buck...........I run a business to, repeat sells are far better than just a single one!
I had to think hard about keeping the watch, I really did like the look of it, however, I much rather would spend the cash on one that did not require so many replacement parts to correct.  I collect Yashica vintage cameras, they must be 100% for me to purchase.  So I exspect no more from a watch purchase as well.
There will be other chances for another good deal for a Seawolf........I have noticed this, to get a 100% complete, well running
SW............appears to be in the price range of $500.00 to $700.00...........for a pristen, complete watch........I will go this......just need some time to save the dough.
I guess I could have opted for this @ the beginning, but so far I have spent  $750.00 and have purchased a new Astrographic
and a vintage classic Astrographic today.
Still looking @ others, but will wait awhile to purchase another.
Too many Hobbies.............. :-\
Rick
Read you 5 X 5.

Scorpio55

Well again I am bidding on a Seawolf, this one after much study, looks to be 100% SW w/everything as should be for one of these jewels.  Now 2 more hours to go and I will know if I have won.  I also have got a pretty good understanding for what a SW of this caliber is going f/on eBay.  I believe I have bidded high enough to win.

:sho
Read you 5 X 5.

Scorpio55

Quote from: Scorpio55 on March 24, 2012, 09:06:39 PM
Well again I am bidding on a Seawolf, this one after much study, looks to be 100% SW w/everything as should be for one of these jewels.  Now 2 more hours to go and I will know if I have won.  I also have got a pretty good understanding for what a SW of this caliber is going f/on eBay.  I believe I have bidded high enough to win.

:sho

:compbr   :wtf

Ok, now I will bid too win, I guess many want one too.  Found one that is being sold by the orignal owner and this one has  a history............I WANT THIS ONE :P
Read you 5 X 5.

Scorpio55

Well today was the day I purchased my 1st Seawolf.  Watch has been cleaned, polished, re-done, serviced and oiled, new crystal, band is not Zodiac..........but I can live with that.
The face is very clean, numbers bold and the lum is bright.
So w/o further ado, here is the new piece to my small humble collection of Zodiacs.
By the way, I do believe I have become addicted to Zodiacs............. ^-^
Read you 5 X 5.

jon p

:agreei :ur :wehe :wehe   VERY NICE !! you DID WELL my friend. this is a keeper for sure. band is period correct and looks great on there. crown appears to be a push to set date. i have one of these also and be careful it can snag on things! IMHO, it was NOT one of zodiacs better ideas. beautiful dial,looks original and the bezel is very nice, i dont see any brassing. is the bezel tight? if it is tight i always leave mine alone and dont turn it. the bezel is actually brass and the " click holes" on the back wear out. there is a tiny ball under the bezel that makes the click when new. welcoe to the wonderful world of zodiac ownership. most important, DO NOT GET IT WET!!!!!!!!!!!! at this age it is NO LONGER a dive watch.

Scorpio55

Thank you jon p for you sound advice, no I will not turn the bezel and absolutely will not use while diving, come to think of it, the closest I get to diving is washing my hair in the shower ;D
I am very pleased with this one and to tell the truth, I am looking @ one now that is all there and would mak a great project watch, low price and I hope to snag it too.
What I like the most besides finially getting one worth catching, is the fact this watch was just serviced this past December and is keeping perfect time.
Now, wheres that Super Seawolf!!!!!!!!!! ^-^
Read you 5 X 5.

jon p

donot get it wet in any way! shower is a big no-no also!

Scorpio55

Quote from: jon p on March 29, 2012, 06:29:16 PM
donot get it wet in any way! shower is a big no-no also!
Amen, I hear and obey jon p sain............. :agreei
Read you 5 X 5.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign