News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Nice SW redial

Started by Butch, August 08, 2012, 05:22:20 PM

Butch

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

that IS a nice redial, at a very decent price. i noticed it is the early date window. are the hands correct for that  date window style?

Butch

The hands are correct. The date where has been replced though. I believe that Zodiac never used a red date wheel on the SW.

dmh

I just can't get excited about a redialed watch. To me that is one step up from a fake watch. I learned my lesson years ago. I bought a redialed Tudor 7928 pointed guard  Sub. It was a good redial and only about 1 person in a 1000 would know it was a redial. Problem was, I knew. Took me 2 years of searching for an original dial before I found one.  Now that is one of my favorite watches. Lesson learned. Never buy a redialed watch knowingly unless you have an original dial for it. Just my opinion for what it is worth.
Best,
dmh

Butch

To each his own. I would do a Zodiac redial if there was one damn redialer in the entire world that could do it 100%. The problem is that there are none.

There are collectors that will not buy a watch if it is not 100% original, as in, left the factory that way. If you put a NOS dial on it and replace the crown with a signed one, they do not want it. If you polish or buff it, they do not want it. If the original band is not on it, they do not want it. They call it character.

Me? I like them to look pretty and be fully serviced and restored best possible. Pretty, not all beat up looking. SOMETIMES that is not possible. As in the 1920's jumphour in My Watches. In order to get it working again BWG had to make a gear for it, from scratch. As for the plated case, well, you have to be careful wiping it off with your shirt tail. But I could (I DON'T though!) wear a beat up watch from the 1920s. But it does look good in the case.

dmh

I agree. To each his own. I like pretty watches too.  But a lot of it has to do with the watch. A serviced, lightly polished Zodiac Sea Wolf with a NOS dial, NOS bezel and crown just can't be beat. A correct bracelet is a plus, but some after market straps are nice  too.
But there are times I go the other way. Right now I've got an old  SSW that shows some honest wear on the case. The dial, hands, bezel and crystal are OK as they are. There will be only a COA service done to this one. The case will remain as is with original finish. I want it to look like a 40 year old watch and not a new one.  So for me it just  depends on the watch.

Best,
dmh

Cobber

I love NOS parts and would definitely consider buying something that contained them as long as it fits the overall presentation of the watch in question.  I really just draw the line at re-dials, at least when it comes to Zodiacs.  I really don't have an opinion on any other vintage watch.  They just don't excite me.
That being said, I've no problem with faded non-functional lume.  In fact, I really like it when I see Zodiacs with super clean dials and deteriorated lume.  I think it gives the watch much more character.  Case polishing is another story, if it's restored to factory specs or close to it, I don't mind it at all and actually have appreciation for it.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign