News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Rolled the dice and bought this.

Started by pknopp, January 13, 2013, 09:58:19 PM

pknopp

So I gambled. Saw this on the internet (not eBay) and rolled the dice. What I know about it is what you see in the picture. I paid less than non working models on eBay so......... Any thoughts, good bad or otherwise?

Butch

That is so vague there is no way to reply man. Tell ya what, get it serviced and tell us the total price and then we can give you our thoughts,
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

pknopp

I understand that there is only so much to say off this picture but at least you didn't see something obvious that I didn't.  :D

I'll post better pics when it arrives.

Butch

Looks like it's all there anyway. Good luck!

Nateb123

Quote from: pknopp on January 14, 2013, 05:27:31 AM
I understand that there is only so much to say off this picture but at least you didn't see something obvious that I didn't.  :D

I'll post better pics when it arrives.

Second hand looks too short, like half was broken off.

pknopp

There you go. I can see that. We will have to see once it gets here.

pknopp

So it arrived today. I'm extremely happy with the two major concerns buying a watch like this. I have already contacted BWG and it will go out next week for service. I didn't bother opening the back as it does run. No, not well. It's obviously in need of a service but at least it's not broke or rusted/frozen. It does have a broken second hand but I've already been told by BWG that he has them.

I am very pleased that the dial is in excellent condition. That always deterred me from eBay sales. The moon phase portion looks great.

More pics when it returns.

Nateb123

Something looks hinky about the dial.  At the very least, I've never seen a moonphase disc painted that crudely.  eBay auction 190788617934 has the moon phase that I've always seen.

pknopp

Seems to me from looking for a few months these watches must have 30 different dials. I don't know about crudely. It's patina'd on the edges but I can live with that.

Movement 1150a.

pknopp

O.K. so I heard back from BWG and all is set except for one thing.........relume the hands or not?

dmh

I would have the hands relumed. It would look a lot nicer on the wrist.  I don't think it will hurt the value and might even increase it.
I'm curious about the dial. Did he mention it?
Best,
dmh

Butch

pknopp

Quote from: Butch on February 04, 2013, 01:02:24 PM
Re-lume!

Thanks to both of you. The entire watch or just the hands? Wouldn't fresh lume look out of place?

Sea Wolf

:pimp;

Bling it out with lume  :dancingbanana;

BWG will do a great job.  I would let him lume what he thought was needed.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

jon p

hey, you are doing a restoratiion, might as well take it to the limit and make it look really sharp. BWG will get it right, no fear!!  8)

pknopp

BWG got back to me and said his opinion was that the dial was original. I gave him the OK to do a vintage luminous on it. I'm a big fan of leaving original alone when it's not trashed.

Cobber

I think it's just missing lume and awkward glare off the hour markers that was giving it a refinished dial appearance. The date track and numbers look really sharp. I hope it turns out nice. I really like gold on black dials, this could be very cool.

pknopp

Just a quick pic BWG sent me of the finished watch. I couldn't wait to post the pic. LOL From the pics it looks exactly like I wanted. It's cleaned and repaired but not restored as new. The watch face is indeed all original and was in great shape as it was.

I prefer some imperfections in the case as opposed to polishing everything smooth including the sharp lines. So far I could not be happier with the watch and the service.

Butch

BWG is a miracle worker! He stretched out the second hand!

Looks nice man.

pknopp

Quote from: Butch on April 17, 2013, 02:58:28 PM
BWG is a miracle worker! He stretched out the second hand!

Looks nice man.

Looks that way doesn't it? Certainly a nice touch to find one that matches the rest.

Offshore

Ohhh, that has turned out VERY nicely!
Any plans for bracelet/strap?

Offshore

pknopp

jon p

:woohoo;  WOW,what a transformation!! beautiful 3D, and the automatic version, A WINNER! another zodiac brought back to its orginal glory.  BWG truly IS A ZODIAC GURU.

Nateb123

Quote from: pknopp on April 18, 2013, 07:11:12 AM
I haven't decided yet.

Patent black lizard or crocodile.  Basically don't get a band that's too matte or has scales that are too large (like certain alligator straps).

pknopp

Nate, yes I believe a black lizard/croc strap is what I will get. All I had around was this crappy plain black strap but I had to put the watch on it for now anyway. I want to thank BWG for a great job and I also want to thank Butch for referring him.

I have another watch (not Zodiac) that will be going to him next week for service.

incountry

Oh yeah!  Beautiful restoration job; wear it proudly. You done real good on that "roll of the dice".

jon p

:ur    it is hard to believe the before/after pics are the same watch. you now have a very fine 3D zodiac, wear it with pride.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign