News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

NICE aerospace!!!

Started by jon p, April 03, 2013, 08:21:01 AM

jon p

:dancingbanana; ebay ##181113205864    already up to $430. if you like this model this IS a really nice one. i bought my black dial about 3 years ago, as nice as this one but leather band and no original box, bid for just under $175. this is a piece of zodiac history, you either love it OR hate it! it has to be worn for a day or two to get used to telling time on it! lets see, well 16 is actually 4PM, ETC. mine only gets very limited wrist time to tell the truth! i like the silver dial version, it is seldom seen for sale, iguess the owners like them too!

Cobber

I've been watching this one closely as well.  I've no intention on buying it as I just closed on a house last
Thursday and I've got a baby due in June.  However, I might suggest, perhaps naively, that drawing attention to it might screw somebody out of a good deal.
I've been curious what others' thoughts on this might be.  We we rag on a crapped up overly priced pos that's one thing.  However, I really have been wondering if there was a general consensus to not discuss more desirable pieces during a live auction. There are two sides to the coin.  There may be forum members highly interested in this model that appreciate the heads up and then others that feel their auction may have just been blown up.  In all honesty, if this had hovered at the $300 mark to the end I probably wouldn't have been able to resist the urge to bid however untimely.
Even at $430+, if my current situation was different, I would be still interested in this and am curious as to what others think.
Thoughts?

Butch

I think most here are afraid to say anything as they are watching this (or another) auction and hoping no one else in the world sees it so they can get it cheaper. Hence not a lot of discussions on a good example when it appears.

Some people actually do post an auction number and try to get forum members opinion on auctions. I think that is neat. I would encourage this tact going forward. Sure, you may point out something I had missed, but probably not. Most of us have a saved search for daily emails on new Zodiacs posted on eBay. I review them on eBay every morning when drinking my coffee.

Let's be really honest here, for some of us older (age) collectors that do not have a new house or kids, if we want it we will win it, regardless of the price. But even older collectors temper their passion with costs. But that is for another discussion.

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

:what   gee guys, members here are not the only people looking at zodiac watches on ebay!! discussing it here can point out a nice one to someone here who might have missed it as butch stated. i dont believe the auctions are a secret. let us be realistic here.

Cobber

Well obviously they're not a secret, that would defeat the purpose of a public auction. I was just applying my own somewhat admittedly narrow and selfish outlook on things and looking for a little clarity.  There have been a couple posts here on auctions I became interested in, however very few. So, it would stand to reason that if I know from personal experience that I've been brought to the table during an auction by a post here so others may have as well. I knew instinctively that there had to be at least a couple people here watching this auction and I briefly thought of posting about it because I thought it would be a fun one to discuss while it was going on and I was out of it. However, since I rarely see such posts I also wondered if there was a certain etiquette people were following. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. Didn't really think I was being unrealistic in my query.
For the sake of argument let's take your watch for instance Jon. I had been looking for a really nice 24hr Jet for the last several years with many breaks in between before I finally got one. Not because there were times I didn't want it any longer but because I just got discouraged. Had I seen your Aerospace (which is very very nice by the way) in a post here during the auction I can pretty much guarantee you would not have gotten it for the price you did. Even when I wasn't actively looking I would stop in here mainly as a guest at the time just to see what's up/new with the site.  I'm not pushing one way or the other just trying to encourage an open discussion on something I've been curious about.
There's actually a lot to gain potentially by posting a desired item.
1) there's the simple fun of it to begin with
2) someone here may know specific details about an item's history (eg. previous owner)
3) someone here may have had a particularly poor experience with the seller of said item, etc.
Downside, you may have inadvertently pushed the price higher on a friend.

Butch

Cobber, I had to go back to the forum rules to see for sure. I started this forum so that people could ask about a watch on the internet. Admittedly, to see if it left the factory that way, but there is no reason we cannot include you way as well. It sounds like fun to me. I will try that next.

jon p

:ur :agreei     COBBER, i really never have looked at this subject from your point of view, and i am glad you presented your look on the situation, i agree with you. i have bought watches on ebay for many years and i HAVE found a few good buys, but mostly NOT.  ebay is just one legal way to gamble, and it can be fun cause once in a while you really get lucky! i agree, probably better not to mention an active auction here until it is over. the main problem i see with that is some members might be trying to get additional info to help them decide if the watch is original, ETC. just my opinion, and opinions are like belly buttons---everyone has one.  :butchLOL; :butchLOL; :butchLOL; :lolz;

Cobber

Ughh, I'm confused. 
Jon, I'm not so sure I like "my way".
It sounded like Butch liked the idea of discussing the auction while it was going on and Jon thought he was agreeing with him but was actually not.

Sea Wolf

:rolleyes; Hmm, I am torn, on the one hand I like talking about active auctions but just not the ones I am bidding on. 
...not that I bid on any, so discuss away unless you see a Super Chrono Crystal, then it DOES NOT EXIST.

Makes sense right  :dancingbanana;
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

dmh

I'll just add my 2 cents worth.
I see nothing at all wrong with discussing an on going auction.
As long as Zodiac is in the title or description and spelled correctly, it's no secret.
But, if I find a nice one and Zodiac is misspelled, I might get pissed.
If I did, I'd probably get over it in a day or two.

Best,
dmh

Butch

To Post, or not to Post, that is the question. I promise not for force anyone to tell us the auctions they are watching.

But if you want to, we can discuss.

jmh86325

being a regular zodiac auction gawker...and the occasional buyer, you notice the same folk showing up to the party...even though eBay masks the true user id's I've come to recognize a few by their F/B score...Butch is always in for at least a 100 and Andy rounds his bids to a funky amount,  so as a courtesy we should talk about pieces that we need and not bid them up...the other day I knew Andy wanted a certain Enicar..I could tell by his bidding...so I stayed out, I would hate to out bid him and then send it to him for repair...I'm just saying

BTW my current FB is  458....

jon p

:shuc    OMG, he said and then  he said................... !  no use beating a dead horse ! lets move on to more constructive topics. i will try not to give away any auctions in the future. DMH, well stated, i agree.

Butch

Actually, often $200, depending on the condition.

Cobber

I think I like the sound of what jmh... is saying. 
Perhaps only start a new thread if you're actually bidding on the item.  That way hopefully other forum members will hang back or at least give you the courtesy of a heads up that they are bidding as well.
Of course, once the auction is over it would be great to see examples of nice pieces and the prices they're fetching.

Butch

Sorry, I cannot agree to the no bidding part. One could very well start talking about a watch I had already saw and was planning to bid on anyway. And as I work from home I probably check eBay 20 times a day for new Zodiac listings.

And this is why people don't ask about an auction they are interested in very often.

smithrjd

I would think that all of us that are into Zodiac's have a fair idea of what a good one is and what we would be willing to pay for it. I see no reason not to discuss an auction, but I as well would not be in favor of a "no bid" if it were one I was looking to buy. I would not really bid anyone up, but would bid to where I am willing to pay. I will admit I don't often post about a watch I am looking at however.  One of these days I will have the extra change and will find a triple date that I just NEED to have LOL.

Cobber

I realize "calling dibs" is a bit unrealistic. I interpreted the post more as a "if I'm not really to serious about acquiring this I'll sit this one out" sort of thing.
By the way, that Aerospace just sold for $585. Not to shabby for the old Jet. Given what I paid for mine this price seems about right as long as the description was accurate.

incountry

If you want the watch bid, if you don't want it then don't bid.  It's okay to talk about the listing in the forum; that's what the forum is for, to bounce ideas around.  Truth be known, us newbies need, want and appreciate help with this stuff from you guys.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign