News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Here is a nice one...

Started by dmh, May 04, 2013, 10:54:47 PM

dmh

I'm just not sure what it is.
Could be a diamond in the rough !!!!

Kind of strange there is no picture of the movement, but from the photos posted, other than the dial & bogus case back markings, it looks like a RCAF issued Omega from the early 60's. Only 940 issued, so it might have been a very rare watch a one time.
So rare one sold at Christies in Nov. 2010 for over $14,000. But, it had the correct Omega dial and correct case back markings.

All insight appreciated.
Best,
dmh

jmh86325

didn't Rodania and Breitling also have a version of this

dmh

Yes Sir, You are correct. Also Universal Geneve.
All were issued to RCAF in the 60's. Most had unsigned dials and Broadarrows on the case back.
On the eBay watch, the markings look to be a crude attempt to copy the  legitimate Omega markings.
Also that crown is shaped like known examples of the Omega.

A Zodiac collector I know has offered $1000 for the watch and seller turned him down. It's only up to $179.50 now with 16 hours to go. It is going to be interesting to see what it goes for.

Best,
dmh

pknopp

I have no idea but I am left wondering why anyone would make an Omega into a Zodiac? Not meant as a knock on Zodiac as I have a really nice Omega but I generally wear my Zodiac but any way around it, it's not worth as much on face value as-is.

dmh

The seller is too busy to be doctoring watches. He has 6,488 active eBay listings and 905 of them are watches. His feedback is only 51, 915 with 34 negatives in the last year.
So it appears someone else has been playing with this watch. Maybe not to increase the value, but to hide the fact that the watch was liberated.
I may be wrong, but I don't think any one button chronograph was ever produced for the civilian trade. They were all made for the military .
If you can prove me wrong, please do. I may be old, but not too old to learn.
Best,
dmh

Ultra-Vintage

Honestly, that could be anything.  As previous posters have already established, it is not a true Zodiac.  It is a conglomeration of who knows how many watches/manufacturers.  The fact that most watch companies used many of the same movements in vintage chronos lends itself to this, and put-together internet specials are born.  Many buyers purchase these unaware, and I have to be the bearer of bad news when they send it to me for repair. 

I will also say that 3/4 or more of these put-together internet watches (chronographs in particular) have been done so poorly and with inferior or worn out parts, that if they can be made to run reliably at all....it will cost the owner ALOT to do so.

Butch

Unreal. Where are those people when I am selling real ones?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

dmh

$910 + $6.50 = $916.50
Unbelievable  !!!!!! But then again, maybe not.

There are a lot of fake military watches on eBay. At first, a lot of them came out of Vietnam. They have spread like kudzu and are everywhere now.
This "Rolex" 200906673684 sold for  $510 +$5 shipping in  March.
The buyer resold 140950680701 same watch in April for $657 + shipping.
Not a bad profit for flipping a fake watch.

Best,
dmh

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign