News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Olympos Watch Band?

Started by Mac, May 31, 2014, 10:50:36 AM

Mac

Please advise what type of band is shown in this older Zodiac add!  I need to obtain such for my watch.

Mac

Dutchsiberia

You might want to look for a vintage JB Champion or a Kreisler bracelet?

Mac

Dutchsiberia:

I will try that.

Thanks!

Mac

Cobber

The one in the add is  most likely a Kreisler as I have one that looks to be exact. Not interested in selling, just wanted to add my two cents.
I have been searching eBay for an NOS one and they do pop up now and then just not at a price I've been comfortable with.

Mac

Cobbler:

Thanks for the insight!  Will the Kreisler have the Zodiac Trade Mark on the clasp as shown in the photo attached -- which is currently on my Olympos?

Mac

Cobber

Unlikely but perhaps not impossible. Most likely that particular band was only offered as an expansion on the Olympos. I believe I've seen the same style offered with a deployment clasp but never with a Zodiac signature. The unsigned ones offered by the "professionals" on eBay who specialize in the NOS market usually price them around $200.

Mac

Cobber:

After your previous recommendation, I located a band on eBay (item #370650092319) that appears that it might be what you suggested; it run about $125.00.  Please take a look and let me know what you think.  Lastly, how do you determine the proper lug size?  Do you measure the distance closes to the watch body or at the ends of the mounts?
Again, thanks for the support!

Mac

Cobber

Lug sizes for the Olympos run approx 17.5mm or 11/16 in inches. You'll see Krieslers, JB Champions, and various others listed with one or both sizes included in the listing. However, for this style bracelet the manufacturers made almost all their size variations the same with the only exception being the end piece. The one you're looking at has straight ends. Curved ones work much better on the Olympos in my opinion. That being said, typically any 18mm bracelet of this vintage can have it's end pieces filed down to accommodate the Zodiac lug width. Meaning if you want to cast a bigger net while fishing don't just limit yourself to the 17.5mm size. Do searches on the 18mm. Any competent watch repair guy can make the fitting for you. That may sound easier said then done but I've got three watch makers in my immediate area that would have no trouble doing this. I did the NSA bracelet in my avatar myself. Fist time/first try. I'm sure it's no perfect under a loop but to the naked eye it looks pretty good.

Cobber

I thought I would upload a photo of my bracelet in case it's of any help.

Mac

Cobber:

Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for, except in stainless!  Is there a model # shown on the inside area?  Attached is a view of my watch with the incorrect Champion band.  If in your activities you come across a Stainless version, please be so kind as to let me know!

Regards

Mac

Cobber

Sorry, no model number. However, I was thinking, you might try contacting the eBay seller that had the one with the straight end pieces and let him know you're looking for the exact same thing but curved. He's one of the "professionals" I mentioned earlier and there's not a huge demand on this specific band. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Mac

Cobber:
What do you think about the Vintage Kreisler 17.5mm that I just located on eBay (eBay Item #330793635114?  It appears to be just what I am looking for with curved ends and not that pricey either. Two are available if you are interested!  Please let me know what you think!  The seller's details follow:
•  Brand: Kreisler
•  Length: 5 3/4" Unstretched
•  Lug Width: 17.5mm or 11/16"
•  Lug Style: Curved
•  Watch Band Material: Stainless Steel
•  Color: Silver Tone
•  Watch band Condition: This watch band is New Old Stock. It has never been installed on a watch.

Cobber

Good job Grasshopper!  That's the band. Get that and you'll have what was likely offered as the OEM bracelet for your watch. The listing doesn't show the back of the band other than where the springs are. The other portion should have a fine steel mesh liner. A much higher quality bracelet than the one I emailed you. If it was a gold filled version I would grab one. The main reason I don't have mine mounted is it's to short. I have put it on however and it looks killer. Has a cool 60s version of art deco that goes perfectly with the Olympos.

If you get it make sure you post photos. Don't be surprised if it needs some minor filing of the ends to fit perfectly.

Mac

Cobber:
I will gladly post a photo, but it might be a little while.  You see, I am sending the watch off for servicing as recommended by Butch.  In the meantime, I thank you for the help, I have been looking for the correct watch band for quite a time but didn't know which manufacture produced the item.  Now, after servicing, I can finally bring my keepsake up to proper standard!!
All the best!
Fred (Mac)

Cobber

Awesome, can't wait! Looks like you're starting with a nice survivor. With the NOS band it should look pretty close to mint by the time you get it mounted. You may want to consider sending the bracelet along as soon as you get it to be sure it gets fitted properly.
I could be wrong but I believe the stainless versions of the Olypmpos are more rare than the gold. At the time these were being produced gold (filled/plated or otherwise) watches were much more popular than they are today and I've only seen a very few good examples of the stainless. I think you're going to have a pretty rare under appreciated watch by the time you're done.
Now if only I could find the gold version.  :pimp;

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign