News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Vegas Here I Come !!!!

Started by Ultra-Vintage, August 22, 2014, 10:43:57 AM

Ultra-Vintage

I know this is not a Seawolf or GMT, but this is one that I recently finished up that I decided was unique enough to post.  We are thinking about a trip to Vegas in the near future, maybe I should wear it and it might bring me some "luck".

This was an inexpensive Ebay purchase from a while back.  I bought it because it was a unique (and I believe hard to find) model.  When I got it the dial had a huge scratch on the right side that not only took off the finish of the dial but had actually burrowed down halfway through the thickness of the dial (see pic, although the scratch looked worse in person).  I am not sure how you scratch a dial that bad, but I have seen similar screwdriver slips from people that should not have been working on watches.  I was not sure how the dial refinish would go as damage to a dial like that cannot be repaired without being visible in many cases.  The mark is now not visible whatsoever.  There are things I could be picky about with the refinish but I think he did an excellent job overall.

The case back does have an engraving which is interesting to me.  I know, I know, there are a lot of collectors that just carry on about their being an engraving.  As if any watch with a personalized engraving should just be thrown in the trash.  However, I am not one of those people.  I like the history and mystery that an engraving can add to a piece.  However, I do prefer the fancier styles of engraving (especially the amazing turn of the century ones done by hand, you cannot hardly get that kind of skill anymore) and this one is a little cruder than that but it is still very interesting.  I am not sure if it is referring to the USS Duncan (DD-874) or some other, but that destroyer would have been in use when this watch was made.

Work done:

-Full Service
-New acrylic crystal
-NOS Zodiac Dustproof crown
-Genuine Crocodile Band

Doogie

incountry

Great looking watch UV!  To add to your story, here's a link to the history of the USS Duncan, DD-874.  This particular destroyer is the third Navy ship named after Lt. Duncan.

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/d6/duncan-iii.htm

:BGW:

Saloonkeeper

That is a great looking watch! I love the horseshoe! You should definitely wear it in Vegas! I actually like the personalized engraving. You have one with a Ford Motor inscription on your site that I have been admiring.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: incountry on August 22, 2014, 07:01:31 PM
Great looking watch UV!  To add to your story, here's a link to the history of the USS Duncan, DD-874.  This particular destroyer is the third Navy ship named after Lt. Duncan.

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/d6/duncan-iii.htm

:BGW:

With all of the searching that I did that ship was the most likely fit.  However, it would probably be impossible to definitively link the watch to a captain of that particular vessel.  It would be cool if it was though.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Saloonkeeper on August 22, 2014, 08:38:22 PM
That is a great looking watch! I love the horseshoe! You should definitely wear it in Vegas! I actually like the personalized engraving. You have one with a Ford Motor inscription on your site that I have been admiring.

That watch is a nice one.  That guy worked 35 years to get that watch, and it was a nice gift.  Nowadays, if you get anything at all from an employer for years of service it is usually crap.

TamHaHaoJai

Amazing!!! How can you do it? Anything else you can do?
Can I do it same you?

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign