News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

How old is my Zodiac and what is its approximate worth?

Started by bleepington, September 06, 2015, 09:25:22 PM

bleepington

I was just given a Zodiac watch, and I know absolutely nothing about watches in general, or this watch in particular.  It has a day and date, with a gold colored case (silver on the back).  On the back, it says around the outer edge WATER - & SHOCKRESISTANT/AUTOMATIC/ANTIMAGNETIC/SWISS/ZODIAC.  On one side of the casing, where the case attaches to the band, it says 1869529 and on the other side where the case attaches to the band, it say PLAQUE 620 SAD.  But, the 620 could be 020 or G20....it's hard for me to read.   I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old the watch is, and its approximate value. I have no idea if it is $10 or $1,000.  The band appears to be new and is marked GENUINE LEATHER.  The band appears to have  never been used.  So, any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated!  Thanks to all you Zodiac ladies and gents! 

Butch

Hi and welcome to the forum. That is a mechanical watch and if you do not know the service history it needs to be serviced now. BY the looks of it I do not think it has been serviced. Once serviced it should be worth $200-300. It was made in the late 1960's or the early 1970's and when serviced will be VERY accurate.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

YuriyV

Very good specimen. Most likely based on Zodiac 76 movement. As mentioned above, once serviced, it should be very accurate.
Quick date set by pushing crown.
How stiff the manual winding is?

rdenney

Quote from: YuriyV on September 11, 2015, 12:20:53 PM
Very good specimen. Most likely based on Zodiac 76 movement. As mentioned above, once serviced, it should be very accurate.
Quick date set by pushing crown.
How stiff the manual winding is?

Actually, the case code suggests a caliber 86 high-beat autowinding version of the venerable AS 1688.

This watch is from 1968, and the subsequent dials with the same design say "SST" on them, but this one came out the year before they adopted the "SST" nomenclature. There is a caliber 76 version in an earlier catalog, but the case code tells all (I guess).

Here's mine:

The small balance wheel comes with the high-beat assortment.

Rick "36,000 bph and a selling point" Denney

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign