News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Old Chronograph Question

Started by Stibbs, January 16, 2016, 10:08:57 PM

Stibbs

Firstly, howdy all, I'm a new member and this forum and site looks fantastic.

I recently grabbed this old chrono and can't seem to find much info on it. Judging by the case and the movement (valjoux 92) I assume it's from the 1950s. With the watchmaker's marks on the inside of the back, it seems to have been serviced a few times, which implies it's been worn a bit. My question is, the dial and case in general seem to be in suspiciously good condition given its age (there are no marks or dents anywhere). Does anyone know if this dial has been redone? Also has anyone seen the "MB" mark on the case before? I assume its a case maker's mark. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Butch

I would guess more the 60's. The dial appears to be original. The hands do not to me. UV is the chrono collector, perhaps he will weigh in.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Stibbs

I'd never thought about the hands but you raise a good point, I've not seen anything like them on another Zodiac or Clebar. Although my picture isn't fantastic, they match the colour of the indices quite well though. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a matching reference in any of the catalogs to compare.

After spending a few hours searching through Swiss trademark guides, it turns out the MB is for "Th. Maeder", who did the electroplating.

Butch

Gold indices usually have gold hands. Also, they appear to be from 3 different sets of hands, none original. At least by the picture anyway!

Yours has waterproof pushers, here is one of mine, the "other" model in stainless.
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/p7lsm_img_2/fullsize/1970s2RegChrono_fs.jpg
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign