News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Vintage Zodiac Tank 1950s?

Started by jshopper1, May 02, 2016, 10:29:31 AM

jshopper1

I found this Zodiac tank watch in a local thrift store.  It features an AS 970 movement, and ID case and a Kreisler band.

I had never heard of ID watch cases but a quick search showed that the ID Watch Case Company was located in New York.  The Kreisler band is also a USA product.

The watch does not run.  I bumped the escape wheel and it ran for about 30 seconds and then quit.  I think that it is in otherwise good running condition but needs cleaning.  I will not run it again until it is cleaned.

Questions:

A number of watch brands used the AS 970 movement.  Herr Dr. Ranfft's site says that this movement was manufactured between 1935 and 1967.  Judging by the style I guess this is a 1950s watch, maybe late 1940s.  Can anybody verify?

Is this watch a man's watch or a lady's watch?

The Kreisler band, is it original to the watch?

Thanks for your input.

Dennis Lockwood

Butch

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Butch

Now that I am not on my phone, let me expound on this. Between the 30's and maybe the 50's, I forget exactly, there was a high tariff/tax on Swiss watches imported into the US. So many companies brought in the movements, with dial and hands, then cased them in the US with US watch cases.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign