News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

My first Zodiac

Started by ianmedium, June 08, 2016, 10:41:56 AM

ianmedium

Hello everyone.
I have just found the forum and wonderful website whilst doing some research about what has now turned out to be a purchase!

This is my first Zodiac and I was so taken with its unusual looks and condition I had to jump!

I have been looking through the website but cannot find this model so I thought I would post here and hopefully all of your combined knowledge can help put a name to this one, thank you in advance!

The watch has a Cal.76 movement and a face that is oval in shape. It has a quickset day date function by pushing the crown in which is why the crown sits a little proud of the case!

It also has an unusual ( to me anyway!) balance regulator adjustment which looks like part of a cog with teeth and what appears to look like an Omega Symbol next to it.

The case is all stainless steel and in near mint condition as is the dial. Its all original as well including crown and crystal according to the seller.

The watch was serviced fully by Yuryi ( the seller).  I have purchased from him before so I know it will be done properly and keep great time as he is an excellent seller and Watchmaker!

Its a small watch at 31mm wide by 38mm lug to lug but being a vintage nut I mainly wear small watches anyway ( I have a Waltham RCAF which is 29mm and wear that often!).

I really appreciate any added information or knowledge you can share and again, thank you in advance and I hope that this is the first of a number of Zodiacs to be added to my collection!

The pictures are from Yuryi, more to follow of my own once it arrives!

YuriyV

To be in tact with the forum rules. As the original owner of the pictures attached, am giving permissions to publish in this forum.
Welcome to the gang, Ian!

ianmedium

Hi Yuryi.
Thanks so much for clarifying that and for another beautiful watch. I can't wait to start wearing it!

incountry

:welc to the forum Ian!  That's a beautiful first Zodiac you have.  Enjoy wearing it!   :twothumbsup

ianmedium

Thanks so much for the welcome.
I had no idea Yuryi was a member here until I posted this. Its a small world!
I am so looking forward to this ones arrival. I purchased a Bulova from him a couple of months ago and its serviced to perfection.

I have never seen a case like this before!

I have been starting to delve into all things Zodiac and my what an illustrious history they have. I can't believe it took me so long to buy one!

ndpadgett

:o

Just had a quick look at the photographs of your watch and if my eyes are not deceiving me I spotted a small problem. The markings on your rotor say it is a "76". Which looks correct. However, the markings on the inside of your case back say: "862 938". Which usually indicates it belongs to the back of a Zodiac 86 in stainless Steel. Perhaps the more eagled eyed on here would like to confirm that.

What is really spooky is that I flipped the back off of the watch I have (Same one) and ..........you guessed it. A Zodiac 76 but with exactly the same case back markings as you have, 862-938. What is going on here? Anyone think that both our watches are "franken" or did Zodiac have a shortage of the correct backs at that time? The serial number of my watch is 2262872. Maybe the number you have is close to that and the shortage explanation is correct.

Views from the experts welcome.

YuriyV

Yes, indeed the case back says 862 938. I noticed that as well when I opened it for service.
On my opinion, nothing wrong with that in this particular case. It was mid 70th and all industry slowly was entering turbulent period - the Quartz crisis. Manufacturers tried to save money on everything. So quite possible Zodiac reused cases from SST model for cheaper models (they are absolutely the same on outer dimensions) to cut expenses.

Butch

I have often said that Yuriy. In the late 70's and into the 80's, when the company left the family and went to DIXI. They seemed to have looked all their parts, and mixed them up to make new models, maybe with a new dial, or a crystal. Minimal new parts being created, most parts being reused. Then they moved into the smaller watches of the 80's (see catalog) where they reused all the 70's women's automatic movements in the men's models filling only 1/2 of the case with movement.

Here is a Corsair. The small square Kingline with 4 screws on the front and back is another example.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

ianmedium

Thanks so much gentlemen for this fascinating insight about the movement anomaly.
This is one of the many things I love about vintage watches. Just when you think you have it all figured something comes along to challenge that.

I was a child in the seventies but had relatives who loved watches so was fascinated from a very young age.
The explanation given as to why this movement in this case makes total sense to me.

The Swiss were in real trouble back then so to use up stock in whatever way they could so as to save money makes absolute sense to me and makes this watch even more appealing.

Oh, and another shout out to Yuriy's watchmaking skills, this thing is keeping chronometer time!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign