News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Spontaneous buy: Olympos Datographic with „25 Jewels“ on the dial

Started by Mugea, May 11, 2017, 01:00:53 PM

Mugea

Yesterday, while on a business trip to Munich I visited an Antique Shop specialized on vintage watches. When I asked for Zodiacs, the very friendly seller pulled the only one he had out of his safe. Ah, an Olympos, a model I don't have yet. So, we agreed on a price and I took it. It was a deal of some seconds... maybe I should have examined the watch more carefully, but I'm over 50 years old and without a loupe I can't make out the details any longer – but my merciless camera can:

So, what do we have here:

Crudely executed "Zodiac" on the dial plus "25 jewels". Most unusual. The back obviously was polished – only "Automatic" is left over, but nothing else. Crown is a replacement (I could live with that).

Now: what do you think about the "25 Jewels"? Could this be original?

I did not open the watch in case I'll return it to the dealer.

Any opinion is welcome!

Best regards

Martin

YuriyV

QuoteNow: what do you think about the "25 Jewels"? Could this be original?
According to the pictures it is a Frankenstein-Olympos for sure. Dial is poor redial. Crown is completely wrong. Even it doesn't fit its slot. Afraid it will be rubbing the case.
According to 25 jewels. There were 25j version of Zodiac 70-72. Although I never seen 25j with date complication. Only no date. Can be wrong though. I expect regular 17j or 21j 70-72 movement inside. So number of jewels stated on the dial is, most likely, irrelevant.
If you paid below average, it could be the moderate deal. If not, I'd suggest to return it. You could do better from aesthetic aspect as well as its originality. Especially if you are not allowed to open the case.
In other hand, if you like the watch, all above issues, including over polished case back, could be fixed relatively easy. And, in addition, you will have serviced watch.

Mugea

Hi  YuriyV,

thanks for your opinion. Regarding the crown: I should have mentioned it: when taking the photos I pulled it out to stop the second hand. Size is fine – but not original, of course.

You opinion is appreciated! I'll return it. Well, a spontaneous buy..... the good thing regarding ebay auctions: you (normally) have seven days to make your homework and to examine the photos in detail...

Best regards

Martin

Mugea

The dealer took it back without any discussions. Contrary, he apologized. He opened the watch: a 21 jewels movement

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Mugea on May 17, 2017, 09:37:13 AM
The dealer took it back without any discussions. Contrary, he apologized. He opened the watch: a 21 jewels movement

Whoever attempted to refinish the dial just randonly chose the "Automatic 25 Jewel" print and stuck it on there.  It is not uncommon to see something like that, accuracy/originality is not a concern to many refinishers.  Getting the job done and out is....
:sam

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign