News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

How Accurate is Your Zodiac?

Started by doog, March 24, 2018, 01:20:27 PM

doog

After 3 weeks on the wrist, my Sea Wolf is losing a fraction over 3 seconds a day when left crystal up overnight, and losing just under 2 seconds a day if left caseback up overnight. Not quite COSC standards, but not too shabby for a nearly 60 year old timepiece. This is better than my Cal 562 1963 Seamaster, which gains about 5 a day, and is quite a testament to the very high standards that Zodiac practised in manufacturing them. It also shows how good a job YuriyV did preparing it before letting me take it off his hands. Really pleased I joined the Zodiac family, they are brilliant watches and, I think, very underrated.

Butch

That's not bad! They can be almost perfect depending on movement wear. The SST is even more accurate.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

doog

Is the increased accuracy of SSTs down to the 36,000 rate ?

Butch

If you meant due to, then yes. Zodiac guaranteed 1 minute per month on the SST.

doog

That is mighty impressive. About two seconds a day is getting close to quartz level accuracy from an automatic, I am surprised that Zodiac did not submit the SST to COSC and market then as Chronometers, unless of course they did and I have missed that in the brochures of the time. The rest of the Swiss industry in the 60s and 70s certainly did.

Butch

They always had chronometers listed in all the catalogs too. But yes, the SST was extremely accurate.

YuriyV

Unfortunately nowadays it is hard to maintain SST's accurate rate due to lack of spare parts. Especially mainspring barrels. High beat movements are very sensitive to lubrication and state of the MS. After huge stress they are very worn or even broken. A lot of efforts needed to return them back to specification.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign