News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

ID on 1940s Gold case 17jewel Chronogragh

Started by Sc-Texas, May 08, 2018, 12:32:28 PM

Sc-Texas

This is what I know.
1.  1940s Zodiac Chronogragh. 
2.  Manual wind Valjoux 22 movement
3.  Solid gold
4.  Serial number.  479845
5. The number 102 inside a stamped shape on the case back

Sc-Texas

Sc-Texas

Sc-Texas

Sc-Texas

Sc-Texas

YuriyV

Butch

UV will weigh in, he is the chrono guy here. Nice specimen!
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Sc-Texas

Silly question.  Why do you think the hands aren't original?

YuriyV

Hour hand looks suspiciously wide. Second hand - short.
But it is only my speculation.

Ultra-Vintage

As already mentioned, as it is pretty glaring, the hour hand is not original.  Not the correct shape, and is way too long.  It would be shorter to meet the position of the hour markers, not go all the way out to the minutes while overshooting the hours.  Chrono centrer seconds hand has the tail broken off, can still see a remnant of it.  The register hands are a style that came from this era, whether they are original or not is really hard to tell.

Honestly, blown up, the dial appears to be refinished to me.  I see several things that do not look original, but instead an older refinish that has age now that makes it appear more original.  However, that is not something I could be 100% about until I saw in person.  Is the dial the only thing signed "Zodiac" on the whole watch?  I have seen plenty of Landeron movement chronographs from this era that were not signed Zodiac on the movement, but were signed case/dial.  So I am not sure that they didnt sign them in the 40s/early 50s, but then started later.  However, I cannot remember ever seeing an original Valjoux movement in a Zodiac that was unsigned, from any era (until the 7750, most of those were not signed).

Most of the chronos from this era that I have seen sell online are made up in one way or another, or totally made up.  I have yet to see one that I can look at and say it is 100% original Zodiac.  If I did, I would be trying hard to own it.  The nature of their components make it easy to play mix-n-match, most companies used cases/movements/dial/hand sizes/styles that allowed it to be done easily.

Sc-Texas

I pulled the strap off.   Interesting reverse spring bar design.

What do y'all think?

Is this normal for a case?

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Sc-Texas on May 18, 2018, 12:58:45 PM
I pulled the strap off.   Interesting reverse spring bar design.

What do y'all think?

Is this normal for a case?

Yes, it is normal for the era.  The use of cases requiring "female" spring bars was not uncommon.

Sc-Texas

Does the case look like a zodiac case from that era?

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign