News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Seawolf Bezel Issue

Started by mshan64, June 13, 2019, 12:59:54 PM

mshan64

I have recently acquired a Seawolf Datographic. I'm guessing it is from the mid to late 60's. The metal bezel was very hard to turn and I could feel grit underneath it while it moved.  I popped off the bezel and gave it a thorough cleaning.  Now it seems too loose.  Furthermore, if I work my finger nails around the outside, I can actually pop it off by hand.  Nothing looks worn or damaged.  In fact, from what I've seen out there, this watch looks to be in exceptional condition.

Now I am afraid to wear it because I dread loosing the bezel.  Is there any way of tightening it? I considered using a retainer spring even though it didn't have one.  Has anyone ever tried that?  Please help if you can...

Ultra-Vintage

Yes, a watchmaker can tighten it for you.  The base metal bezels get misshapen from years of use and being hit, and I usually end up having to tighten 3/4 of the ones that come in for service.

Adding a spring is not a viable option for the friction fit styles.  Being that they are friction fit only they do not have the necessary space or curvature to allow a spring (on the case or inside the bezel).

Butch

UV, didn't you tell me you made a special jig to enable refitting them so that they were tight again? I know you have done a lot of them for me over the years. And thanks for that!
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on June 16, 2019, 12:53:46 PM
UV, didn't you tell me you made a special jig to enable refitting them so that they were tight again? I know you have done a lot of them for me over the years. And thanks for that!

Yes sir, it is an important part of being able to restore them properly. 

Happy to do it  :sm3

mshan64

Hey guys, thanks a lot for replying to my message.  I will contact UV.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign