News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Obsessively winding an automatic

Started by LunaLooker, January 04, 2020, 11:21:37 AM

LunaLooker

I don't like my watches winding down, and I also don't like watch winders. So, I like to handwind my automatics every morning to keep them going for the day if I'm not wearing them that day. Is this generally an okay idea, or a bad idea?

I currently have watches with the following automatic movements:

Sea-Gull ST2153 (clone of ETA 2824 with power reserve, moon phase, and pointer date modules)
Seiko 6R15
Zodiac 74
ETA 2824-2

Butch

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php/topic,905.0.html

Now that we got that out of the way, let's discuss your obsessive compulsive behavior....  ;)
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

Winding them should not cause any damage as long as they are still within their service life (adequate lubrication still present).  However, not running them while they are not being worn is ok too.  A serviced watch, stored in a proper environment (room temp, dust/moisture free) is perfectly fine not running until you decide to wear it again considering the highly refined oils used during the service presently.

Butch

Thanks UV! NOW, can we talk about his obsessive compulsive behavior?

:sici

Ultra-Vintage

Butch

OK, OK, OK. <Lethal Weapon 2> As UV says you won't hurt them but I don't think you are helping them either. I have a few watches (all serviced) and when I decide to wear one that is the day it gets wound. Today I can't see the date window unless I put on my reading glasses and really look hard, so I normally do not bother setting that.

LL, you say that you don't like my watches winding down, is there any specific reason there? Or is it just that if you change watches you want any of them to be ready to go?

LunaLooker

No particular reason. I am pretty sure it is just some minor neuroticism on my part :P I sometimes like to measure the accuracy of my watches using the WatchCheck app, and that requires making sure that they continue running for days.

I can probably train myself to just wind the watch I want to wear that day, as you do, and not really worry about the accuracy. If I really wanted accuracy, I should just continue to rely on my mobile phone  :D

Butch

Funny you should say that. For all the banging I do on kortz watches I have always said if one wants an accurate chrono one should buy a GOOD kortz model.

Cobber

As long as we're talking obsessive compulsive disorder, I once read  :dh that if you haven't worn one of your mechanical watches in a while it's probably best not to fully wind it immediately.  Reasoning being, the oil may have some what settled and fully winding it up can cause undo stress on items not adequately lubricated (insert 'that's what she said joke' here).  If I remember the gist of the article, supposedly the better method is to wind the watch up partially wait some period of time to allow the lubrication to evenly distribute than fully wind the movement.

I believe the write up was more intended for vintage collectors (may have even read it here) but, if true, I suspect this method would probably benefit any mechanical watch that someone values.

Any thoughts?  I believed it when I read it, seemed to make sense.  I even started wearing watches that hadn't received much attention to bed just so the oil would get moved around a bit.

Butch

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/watchrepair.php
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php/topic,905.0.html

You may be thinking of these. OR something you read elsewhere, but everything you say makes total sense to me Cobber. Good sound advice.

Cobber

Yep, that's it.  The first link.  I think over the years my brain has applied some loose associative rule of math to my interpretation.   

Butch

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign