News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Restoring my grandfather's TDM?

Started by brendo, February 05, 2020, 06:46:52 PM

brendo

Hey folks, I'm posting about my grandfather's watch, hoping to find some information. When I received this a couple years ago, it wasn't in working condition. I dropped it off with a local watchmaker who got it running again, but wasn't very familiar with vintage Zodiacs, so it took him a very long time and he had a very hard time sourcing parts.

https://imgur.com/a/fzMYIGj

I guess what I want to know is this:

• Any idea when this watch is from? I'm told my grandfather bought it in the 60s, but in my attempt at researching Zodiac TDMs, I can't find one with the same logo typeface or hands. I'm also curious what movement these used, as I thought it was some sort of Valjoux but I was told I was wrong.
  • Is it possible to find a date hand? When I received the watch, the crystal was cracked and the date hand had broken off and fallen out. I would be willing to buy a parts watch to source one, but I kinda need to know the answer to question 1 to know what I need to buy!

Honestly, I may need to get it serviced again. The watch runs fine, but the month adjustment tends to stick. If I can come prepared with more info and a date hand this time to hand to a watchmaker and say "here, put this on while you're in there," that would be ideal.

jmh86325

:welc

Ask Butch to introduce you to BWG...you won't go wrong, years of zodiac experience and loads of parts.

Butch

I did give you BWG's contact info in a separate email. That is from the early 60's indeed. Can you give me the number between the lugs under the 6?

I have seen that font before on other watches. I suspect that is an old redial where some watchmaker had it redone for your grandfather. Today's redials would not look that good!

As you may have read, parts are always a problem. Servicing that model is not really difficult, it just takes a lot of time and dedication to getting it working right through attention to detail. Both are things that BWG excels at.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

brendo

Thanks for the replies!

Hm, no number between the lugs at 6 or at 12. The only exterior marking is a number stamped on the case back, 1151436.

Butch

brendo

Interesting! Hey, Butch - I never got that message with BWG's contact info. Could you re-send it or maybe send it as a message on the forum? I appreciate the help!

Butch

Maybe it was someone else then. OK, send me an email and I will give you the referral.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign