News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac/Zenith Port Royal?

Started by Cobber, April 06, 2020, 04:58:33 PM

Cobber

Looks legit.  I've seen the Zeniths in both auto and quartz but can't find manufacture dates at the moment.  Saddam Hussein could probably tell us..., oh wait, no he can't but he sure liked him some Zodiacs.

Just came across a Movado as well;

Butch

I can't see it for some reason. I am not an expert on Zenith but I seem to remember that they were owned by DIXI in the 80's. A separate brand from Zodiacs, but both brands owned by the same company. I do not think Movado was owned by DIXI though.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Butch

Think I found it: 143572622389

Anyway, I THINK this is one of those deals where they ran out of parts and used other parts. The dial looks good, just the wrong case back. Just a guess. Back in the 60's this would happen with Zodiac and Clebar. I one had a Zodiac 3DMP with a Clebar marked movement.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Cobber

Was just doing some internet searches out of boredom, Mondia-Zenith-Movado all joined together in '69.  Movado was eventually sold to a cuban expat. in the U.S. (apparently this man's son or grandson is the current CEO of Movado).
Available online sources say this split happened in '83.  So, likely there's a little overlap there concerning Zodiac/Zenith/Movado just in ownership under the Dixie Machine company era.  I think the sale of Zodiac to Dixie was around '82 but who knows what type of collaboration may have been going on before then with Zenith.
If one does a search on "Saddam Hussein Zodiac watch", the model above appears several times.  Zodiac signed dial and Zenith crowns seem to be the norm.
Also, appears to me that the quartz "New Kingline" from the '80s Zodiac catalog may have been another co-branded version of the Port Royal.  In this particular case it looks to be Zodiac's design co-opted by Zenith.

Side note; Saddam must have employed a full time watch purchaser.  The number of Iraqi watches out there from several different brands is mind-boggling.   

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign