News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

What astrological symbol is on the back of your Zodiac watches?

Started by Grossisten, August 12, 2020, 05:40:43 AM

Grossisten

Hi all,

I've been wondering - is there any sort of system to the small zodiac symbols on the backs of the watch cases? The name Zodiac obviously refers to astrology and Zodiac at least in certain periods used astrology symbols in advertising - and for instance on a sign in the reception of the old Zodiac factory that I peeked inside a few years back before it was renovated.

The odd thing though is that perhaps 90% of of the watches I have come across having such a symbol on the back uses the symbol of Libra (the scales). Is that chance? Whats on the back on your watches? Could it be due to the subtle fact that my father, Danish Zodiac importer and source of most Zodiacs that I have seen or owned, was a Libra in astrological terms? i.e. all watches imported to Denmark had a Libra symbol? Or is there a completely different explanation?

Looking forward to your input!

/Soren

Butch

Most that I have seen have the scales but I have never seen any explanation for it.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

YuriyV

YuriyV

Zodiac Goldenline - Lion. Leo? Even if there is Libra sign visible.

Butch

Jesus wept. Let me clarify. I know it gives you great pleasure when you think you have proven me wrong Yuri, brevity often gets me in trouble.

Yes, many were used over the years, including at least one that had the 12 symbols for hour markers. But the scales were certainly used much more often, especially in the later years, IMHO.

YuriyV

Sorry for misunderstanding.
I just answer on the question on topic starter: "What astrological symbol is on the back of your Zodiac watches?"
I have these.

Butch

Cobber

Quote from: Grossisten on August 12, 2020, 05:40:43 AM
Hi all,

I've been wondering - is there any sort of system to the small zodiac symbols on the backs of the watch cases? The name Zodiac obviously refers to astrology and Zodiac at least in certain periods used astrology symbols in advertising - and for instance on a sign in the reception of the old Zodiac factory that I peeked inside a few years back before it was renovated.

The odd thing though is that perhaps 90% of of the watches I have come across having such a symbol on the back uses the symbol of Libra (the scales). Is that chance? Whats on the back on your watches? Could it be due to the subtle fact that my father, Danish Zodiac importer and source of most Zodiacs that I have seen or owned, was a Libra in astrological terms? i.e. all watches imported to Denmark had a Libra symbol? Or is there a completely different explanation?

Looking forward to your input!

/Soren

I've not spent one second thinking about this.  However, I've got the fish and the scales.  I always assumed the fish was just an easy identifier alluding to water resistance..., and the scales..., well?
Anyhow, I had to look up what the scales represent in the zodiac calendar and obviously Wikipedia is one of the first things that comes up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libra_(astrology)

This is the part that may have had a hand in Libra being chosen by Zodiac as their main astrological symbol.

"...Manilius once said that Libra was the sign "in which the seasons are balanced". Both the hours of the day and the hours of the night match each other..."

Butch

Grossisten

Well, perhaps there IS a reason for it.....it could also reflect the personal sign of the CEO of Zodiac at the time of production. The CEO changed in the fifties and twice in the seventies I think. (all being Calame of course). This is the kind of thing my father would have known..... to bad I didn't ask him.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign