News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Ebel Sea Wolf?

Started by YuriyV, April 23, 2021, 01:04:00 PM

YuriyV

Have an interesting find as on me - Ebel/Zodiac Sea Wolf.
Was not aware Zodiac was issuing these for Ebel.
Found on Internet auction in Switzerland.

Butch

Redial. And a good one it looks like. Zodiac obviously had nothing to do with them. Even were it a screw up from the dial maker there is no way it would have left the factory like that. Back then all watches were literally put together by hand. Someone in the factory would have noticed it and tossed it aside for the boss to talk to the dial maker about.

That thing is full of curiosities for sure. Note the rotor. Is it an AS movement? Yeah, I would have had to buy it too, but knowing it is not from Zodiac. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for it?

Mind you, I know nothing about EBEL that I did not just learn in the past 10 min. Curious company of high end watches that was owned by the family until 1994.

164680650281 - From the same period it appears.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

YuriyV

Some observations from close inspection under magnification:
1. Movement is definitely genuine Ebel 213 (similar example from eBay 133513419538). All markings on it are not from Zodiac. (Ranfft movement database has record for this caliber)
2.Dial looks like just from factory. I saw that distinctive rainbow aging film on the dial varnish on many Zodiac SW dials previously. Don't see any evidence of redial under microscope.
3. Uniform patina of Radium compound on hands and markers.
4. All components (movement version, Radium dial, case design) are period correct. No any sign of later altering or modification.

Snagged it for few hundreds of Swiss franks.

Butch

OK, at that price I would have passed on it then. Anther funny thing is that the EBEL logo is not correct for that era.

Found this interesting tidbit. https://www.hushhush.com/watches/wrist-watches/ebel-nautic-diver/

I dunno, moving on though. Too old to start learning another brand.

Grossisten

Why put both an EBEL wordmark and the Zodiac logo on? Just seems like a really bad idea, that would be in the interest of none of the brands.

Butch

Agreed, thanks for pointing that out.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign