News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Mainspring... can it be serviced?

Started by stefaninla, December 29, 2021, 02:16:58 PM

stefaninla

Hopefully I'm doing right by posing my questions as separate threads...

Mainspring barrel warns not to open. I did notice that Yuriy mentioned cleaning mainspring in another thread which made me wonder...

Can it be opened? If so, is there a trick? If not, is there anyway to do anything with mainspring?

Happily, I'm getting great amplitude readings (299 degrees) on my just-restored seawolf, so the spring seems to have plenty of life left... However, just feels wrong to strip a watch down completely and not do anything with the mainspring.

Thank you!

YuriyV

stefaninla

I had read that - and I just reread it. Really good article. Yes, I had the feeling from that reading that it was not really possible (especially for a hobbyist) to open the barrel. I was just looking for confirmation.
I wonder if, at some point, someone will machine a barrel assembly... :)

It seems as though the watches I'm attracted to all have their eccentricities. haha. Zodiacs, Hamilton electrics, Smiths...

YuriyV

Quote from: stefaninla on December 29, 2021, 08:02:00 PM
...I had the feeling from that reading that it was not really possible (especially for a hobbyist) to open the barrel. I was just looking for confirmation.

It is possible to open it, properly service and close. Every watchmaker invents their own method. It is why nobody willing to share.
In nutshell, you would need a watchmaking lathe to open and close. Rest (poising, cleaning, oiling) is similar to servicing regular barrel.

Quote from: stefaninla on December 29, 2021, 08:02:00 PM
I wonder if, at some point, someone will machine a barrel assembly... :)

Hope very soon this problem will be solved. Stay tuned for an advertisement about offering an new barrels produced on original equipment in Switzerland. Although prices won't be cheap. :lolz;

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign