News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Why do the red price auto chronos commands a high price?

Started by Melmoth, January 21, 2010, 10:30:39 AM

Melmoth

This one is for Butch really as his experience would date back to that murky era, the early 90's. ;D

The red point chronograph seems to command a higher price than the seawolf blue point or gold point chronographs. This is despite a retail price less than half of the latter two. The red point also does not have sapphire  and uses a lower quality bracelet. Is it because the design is more of a classic diver design than the other two? or is it down to rarity. Even on the standard mens non chronograph red point, people seem to be prepared to pay a premium.

So folks, anyone got the answer? , cause this one has had me confounded for a while.

Butch

Pricing? Preference? Popularity?

Back in the 90's there were three main categories of Zodiac models, Red, Silver, and Gold Points. They are presented in order of pricing (and one would presume "quality" such as the band or mineral glass vs. sapphire) though, like a Ford/Mercury, really the same models. The Sea Wolf was a stand alone line, and not solely dedicated to Divers either. They were priced accordingly. EARLY in the 90's there was also the colored plastic bezel Formula line which is valueless, in my opinion, based on today's resale prices. (Tag had a CHEAP model and so did Zodiac.) The Marine Life came along later and fit in between the Silver and Gold Point lines.

I think what you mentioned reflects today's pricing based on something that rarely comes up for sale any longer. Or maybe just the desire of today's current collector? Remember, if you rarely see a watch it probably indicates that not a lot of them were sold. There are always unpopular models that later become prized possessions for collectors. Also models that, due to their higher pricing, the company simply was unable to sell a lot of.

Time for a plug for my collection. There are watches that I will go all out for (much to my wife's chagrin) but fortunately they are Zodiacs so are "reasonably" priced. An example of this is my Jump Hour. Another is the Regulator you see in the Gallery under Misc. (link below). I have only seen 3 of these, and lately I bought #2 and #3 (one was all apart in a tin when I bought it!). How many of either of these models has anyone else ever seen?

Man you made me work at this.
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/gallery/p7lsm_img_18/fullsize/31-misc13_fs.jpg
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Butch

Opps! Sorry, I forgot I was talking to the Sea Wolf Club members when I asked that question, my bad.

Sea Wolf

What about the 90's Super Sea Wolf?

Butch, please tell me these do not have the crown/stem issue?

Don't tell me what I have is going to break  :-\
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Melmoth

Hi Butch, thanks for taking the time to expand out some of your ideas, a lot of valid points there. I would think that familarity could come into it also, your point on forgotten models or models which few people would recognise is very valid. I am Looking for a nice Olympos on the strenght of one of your earlier posts :)

As for the familiarity, a Case in point would be older Astrographics SST's , lovely watches but a handful for a novice collector in terms of restoration or repair. I took the safe option and plugged for a modern silver Astrographic 2000 like the one on your homepage. My reasoning was that the movement is reliable and easy to source parts for. Also many of the astrographics that come up, show up in the far east where it looks like they go 40 or so good years of use and then polished to within an inch of their lives.

Thanks for the insightful comments, its really a nice thing to be able to discuss the watches with people who have an interest in them, I get more of a kick from getting nuggets of information on zodiac models which few people know than any of the more recognised brandss that i have, its a niche thing i guess, or possibly a cult ???

Sea Wolf, Nice to see you have a SSW from the 90's. Really, Really have to get me one of those.....

Butch

On the 11990s SSW, it does not have the SAME crown/stem issues as the other models, but has the same lack of parts problems as the rest of the 1990's models. FWIW, I do not own a single 1990's model for this very reason.

The 2000 Astro (and other Geneder models) have the same parts issues. While parts were turned over to Fossil during the sale, they did not make any more parts for them. I have the one Astro given to my by Ken Genender, but I rarely wear it as if it should break, I am SOL.

jon p

;D be very careful with your 1990s zodiacs ! by the way butch, where did our neat web site mystery dial clock go!? JON

Butch

It is working for me as of now... It is a JAVA applet.

Sea Wolf

I am really starting to like the point watches and Genender era Zodiacs.

Even with no parts for these, it makes it all the more attractive for me.

The Genender SSW model is so far my favorite of the newer Zodiacs.

I only have one point model and I really like the band that came with mine, very comfortable
and heavy.  I have a large wrist and the small vintage gmt and sea wolfs look just a little small on me, but
I still love them.

I am patiently awaiting the day when I can find a crystal for my Astrographic just like the java script Astro on this website.
I picked up the Astro about a year ago and have it with BWG in his safe, awaiting the find of a lifetime for the proper crystal.  One company wanted $900 for just this Astro Crystal, they apparently purchased most the spare Zodiac parts and they wanted $2200 total to service my Astro.  No thanks, I will work with BWG from now on, lesson learned.

BTW, BWG has a secure safe so you can leave stuff with them for the long haul with no worries  ;D

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign