News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Original Bezel or Not - GMT

Started by zaniac, May 26, 2010, 08:04:27 AM

zaniac

So what's your opinion - original bezel or not?
The size and shape looks correct, but solid red?
And is it me or does the watch have 5 hands :o
I know the GMT is supposed to have 4, but 5??
Chris

Butch

Saw that one. Zodiac had a contract with the Saudi military back in the 70's. Did not notice the 5th hand until now, so now the bezel makes sense! The first thing I noticed was the bezel only had 12 markings. My guess (without being able to read Arabic)? Prayer time.

Yes, this is all original but unless one were Muslim I would not think it to have much value. But hey, that is just ME.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

??? ::) WOW--what a WEIRD GMT!!! it sure does have 5 hands!! i wonder how you tell time on this one! the bezel looks original except for what looks like a new insert. i wonder what the symbols on the bezel mean? my original dial gmt says aerospace gmt under zodiac and automatic above the 6 o clock. maybe that is arabic for automatic!? looks like a redial with some changes. there really ARE some crazy ones out there.  JON

zaniac

So the normal GMT hand points to nothing? And the 5th hand points to whatever the arabic characters are on the bezel? :-\
Interesting
Chris

jon p

:P didnt sell at 400., then at 350. and it is back starting at 300.!! i think i will buy it when it gets to 100. ::) ::) ::) i need something WEIRD in my zodiac collection.

zodiac-123

nicw watch. the markings on the bezel are hindu numerals corresponding to 1 2 3 ... 12

The Arabic word above 6 o'clock is "ÒæÏíÜÜÇß" which is the arabic prounciation of zodiac

the extra hand is unusual, i can't really figure out its function, but it has nothing to do with prayer time.

Butch

Thanks for this info! That is a bit strange though. Why would there be Hindu hour markings and Arabic wording?

jon p

:o it is at $250.00 now with one bid. this IS  REALLY one strange GMT!!!

Butch

I spoke with an Indian that I worked with and she said the bezel if not Hindu but is Urdu (and she was positive she said). So, why would there be an Arabic dial with a bezel that is not Arabic as well? The seller is from Jordan too. While I am dying to look inside it and find out why it has 5 hands and what the 5th does, I am afraid it may be a marriage and will not bid.

zodiac-123

hi again ... sorry for my previous statement, it wasn't clear enough.

about the markings on the bezel, this set of numbers is called hindi numbers ( based on origin only ). This set is used in eastern arabic countries. While the conventional 1,2,3 ... is called arabic numbers (based on origin again ) and used in western arab countries, europe and the rest of the world.

About, the extra hand, i think , which is a pure guess, with no experience at all, that the watch is able to represent two different time zones, for both hours and minutes using one common dial. And the bezel is not ment to be used as an ordinary minutes timer, instead, it is an extension for the ordinary dial 12 markings for the other time zone.

Butch

That would work if it was being driven from the same gear as the regular hour hand, and just offset from it. You would just turn the bezel to offset the time zone difference and you could always look at the bezel to get the time on the other zone. I guess it was cheaper to modify an existing model than make a new one. Sure is strange that they would leave the 24 hour hand on their though. You would think they would have removed that, unless it was required to be there so that all hands would stay in place, but even then, they could have cut it back to the hub ring....

Funny thing this, trying to figure out the thoughts of a dead marketing guy.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign