News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

My 1st Zodiac

Started by dbluefish, August 18, 2010, 10:46:43 PM

dbluefish

Saw this section and thought I would share my Sea Wolf story.

I was in the Marines in 1964 on board a Navy ship bound for Spain and some war games.  All of us were bored so card games were our main entertainment(that and taking cold salt water showers).

I normally did not play cards as I do not have a 'poker' face.  We started playing Hi / Low where a poker face is not needed.  The cards were shuffled, put on the deck, two were turned over face up and you bet wheter or not the next card was in between the other two.  Not higher, not lower and not equal to.
Well, to cut to the chase, I took all my buddies money before we got to Spain.  Bought the Sea Wolf for $50 - $100
(my mind id fuzzy, lol)and sent the rest home as US Savings Bonds.

I thought the watch was a neat piece as it was waterproof to 660 ft(tested), used some radioactive material for lume(it glowed like a light for 20 years or so and then got weaker) I did not dive but being a Marine and the watch looking tough, it was a no brainer.

Interestingly, I knew nothing about signed bracelets and found later that some PX watches could have generic Champion bands(?) so that is what I have.

The watch crapped out sometime in the '80's or '90's and sat in my dresser.  Fast forward to a few years ago and I got into this crazy hobby collecting watches, and thought maybe I should get it restored.  Had a rather junky Sea Wolf I bought off the 'bay(it had the stem fall out and the seller said tough luck) so I sent my original and the junky to what turned out to be BWG! lol

So now I have my original(most of the parts including the case and dial are original)and it doesn't even see fog, lol.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

paul

On a custom Bund strap with olive and cream stitching for now.

jon p

PAUL, i bought the same one at the army PX at ft benning ga in may of 1968! j.ust had it restored by BWG. remember i paid $55.00 for it with the champion bracelet. the list price then was $110,00 with the date feature. like you i thought it was TOUGH looking and at the time it WAS a BIG WATCH. i remember all my buddies were really impressed with it when i want to quartermaster school at ft lee in VA. i wore it for years and gave it a lot of abuse but it kept on going. i quit wearing it a few years ago because the crappy brass bezel got real loose and knowing how hard they are to find. BWG restored it and tightened the bezel. i cant figure why zodiac made such a qualit watch with a crappy plated bezel!! guess it saved a few pennies-leave it to the bean counters. mine has plating loss around the edge but looks ok still. your bezel looks real good.   JON P

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign