News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Is it just me or is every old watch worth it's weight in gold?

Started by Butch, August 27, 2010, 01:23:20 PM

Butch

Take a look at eBay auction 380263303684. Read the description. Minor scratch on the crystal and on the back case, unserviced, no band, unsigned crown.... and worth $90??? Man, my collection must be worth a bloody fortune, maybe I should just sell it and retire now?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

??? he sure  thinks a LOT of it doesnt he !? i love the part about "crazing" on the dial.

Ultra-Vintage

Don't forget the Ebay motto:

"Everyone on here wants to make a killing today, come view the overpriced collection of innacurately described worthless crap on Ebay!"

That is a five dollar yard sale watch for parts if I ever saw one.  I have been buying SST's in that condition for parts at no more than $10 for years.  Everyone thinks they have a gem though ha

jon p

Yankees76

Agree 100% - everyone is greedy when it comes to vintage watches - like any watch, working or not simply because it's old is automatically gouge-worthy.  :(

Butch

I just looked at an Autographic, 150487109116. <sigh> Read the description on this one! Look at the pictures! It is old so it MUST be worth a lot of money.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on August 30, 2010, 06:16:47 PM
I just looked at an Autographic, 150487109116. <sigh> Read the description on this one! Look at the pictures! It is old so it MUST be worth a lot of money.

Ha ha, his description is sooooo honest and accurate.  I love how he claims that watch is from a jeweler's vintage stored stock!?!  Look at that dial, was the jeweler's stock stored in a flooded basement????
I also love how he describes the running condition as non-running, "wound tight".  I hear that all of the time from older people and have always wondered where that came from since there is no such thing as "wound tight" or "overwound".  Classic Ebay auction listing  ;)

bulldog1935

something to keep in mind about old - when an item hits 100 yrs old, the original packaging is usually worth more than the item itself. 
A few years ago, the box for an 1859 fishing lure sold at auction for over $12,000. 
   Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

Butch

While very true, the box cannot be worn nor does it tell you the time!  ;D ;D

bulldog1935

Butch

I am not disputing that sir. Many people try to get the original band, paperwork, boxes and hang tags so that it is "all original and complete". And you are correct, it increases the value of your "investment" if you bought them all wisely.

Me? I wanna wear my collection and see what time it is. Although, a funny thing is that I started working from home about a year ago. Now every time I leave the house I forget to put a watch on! Maybe I should start a Vintage Motorola web site for cell phones.....

bulldog1935

and that creates a collectors market for all of those items; although, there should be difference between the set being assembled vs. an original grouping. 

I use a Razor, too - haven't upgraded yet, I have chargers everywhere (most of them donated by others), and charged spare batteries ready to swap out - an old mostly dead Razor I use for a battery charger. 

I'm wearing my overpriced new/old chrono to work today.  I fish new in the box fly reels from 1940 and would shoot a Colt revolver if I had one. 

reydelaplaya

In regard to the original watch in this post, though it's not my style of watch, I will vouch for the seller. I have bought from this seller in the past and have been very pleased with my purchase from them, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again; they were very nice folks to deal with on the bay. Though the watch I bought from them a couple years ago, an old NOS D:a$tar 25J, isn't a Zodiac, it was verified authentic and in the perfect condition listed in the description.

Now for the confession: it is my (almost) daily wearer, as I'm not willing to subject any of my Zodiacs to the perils of daily life on my wrist. (it's a tough watch!) LOL

Just my 2 cents in case anyone ever considers buying from this seller.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign