News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

"New" additions to the wolf pack

Started by JDS (Ohio), March 09, 2011, 08:45:13 PM

JDS (Ohio)

As I mentioned last week, I went for a spell where I got behind on posting; so while these 2 Sea Wolves were added over the last few months, I never got around to posting them here yet - my apologies.

1. 10 ATM Sea Wolf, first generation?  The seller said he got it from a guy who'd bought it new in 1960.  It's slightly smaller than the later 20 ATM version, nearer to 34mn excluding the crown.  The dial doesn't have the enclosed arabics at 3-6-9-12 either, just 2-4-6-8.  Also, the hands lack the central rib of the later models, and the bezel appears to be just stainless steel, with no chrome.

There's no "T" on the dial to indicate tritium. I'm not sure if this means the lume is NOT tritium, or if they had just not started marking dials that way yet.

The bezel was extremely loose when it arrived, and I assumed it had just loosened up during the years. After recently reading a 1959 Navy BUShips evaluation that gave the Sea Wolf bezel an "Unsatisfactory" for looseness, I wonder if maybe they actually came this way to start with.  The local watchmaker who cleaned the movement and repaired the bracelet also put a gasket underneath it, and it now takes 2 grown men and a boy to move it.

The watchmaker also did a repair on the expansion bracelet, two links were held together with a paper clip.  Unfortunately, bracelet parts and replacement links are unobtainable, so  it's a little tight for me to wear longer than a couple of hours.

2. 20 ATM Sea Wolf with enamel bezel.  This one had the least edge brassing or damage to the enamel that I've actually seen for sale.  The metal of the the hands and the dial markers are kind of worn/oxidized, and the lume is old looking, so I'm keeping my eyes open for NOS dial and hands.

I was lucky enough to have an 18mm Italian "SUB" strap to put on as a replacement for the lizard grain it had on when it arrived.

I do want to note that the bluish gray enamel bezels look a LOT better in the flesh; photos never seem to do them justice.

John

jon p

thanks for the pictures of your new family members--NICE!! i like the looks of the older sea wolf, butch will have to date it for you, but it looks like  late 1950s to my eye. get an extender for the bracelet, they work great and are avail. on the bay at good prices. that way you can keep and wear your original bracelet. the black dial looks VERY nice and bezel is in great condition. i have a white dial with the same bezel. i want to find the gray bezel but with the orange markings, it looks sharp but very seldom come up for sale in good condition. you have  some beautiful zodiacs in your collection WOW!!!    JON P

Ultra-Vintage

Sea Wolf

You win for the most wrist shots in one post  ;D

I also have a 18mm Italian "SUB" strap, but it does not fit, I have to wear it on the last hole and it just doesn't wear well that way.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: Sea Wolf on March 10, 2011, 12:46:13 PM
You win for the most wrist shots in one post  ;D

I also have a 18mm Italian "SUB" strap, but it does not fit, I have to wear it on the last hole and it just doesn't wear well that way.

Sorry, I got carried away. ^-^

I've noticed that those "SUB" straps, and often the basket weave Tropics too, seem to come in different lengths.  If the seller lists the lengths of the sections, fine, but a some of them don't seem to bother.  It would suck to get a short or regular length if you were expecting a long length.

I like the SUBs better than the asian Tropics (the Swiss ones are insanely expensive), and just got a 20mm SUB strap that I've planned to put on a Mark II Kingston (IF that is, the critter manages to get here in my lifetime   ::)), I measured it at around 205mm.  The 20mm size is a bit more pricey though.
John

jon p

is the SW with the "gold" bezel actually one that has the 9kt solid gold bezel or the plating has been polished off the regular brass bezel??? the gold bezels were fairly rare and i believe the dial had gold accents. very sharp looking.

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: jon p on March 12, 2011, 09:42:23 AM
is the SW with the "gold" bezel actually one that has the 9kt solid gold bezel or the plating has been polished off the regular brass bezel??? the gold bezels were fairly rare and i believe the dial had gold accents. very sharp looking.

Jon,If you mean the one in the watch box, that's actually a gold bezel.  I don't know if any one ever confirmed that those are solid, or just gold plate, but the only thing worn on the bezel is some of the ink/enamel in the bezel graduations.  I'm not sure if you can see it in the photos, but the metal on the appllied dial markers is also gold, as is the dial text.

[/size]
John

jon p

nice gold bezel!! from what i have read yes they are solid gold, 9KT. man yours looks great, now i can see the gold trim on the dial. they came with a s/s and gold PLATE  bracelet. one of those jewelry polishing cloths work great to gently shine gold.

davec

Congratulations John,

One heck of a top spec Zodiac Seawolf collection. 

Sea Wolf

Yes, that is a very fine collection.    8)
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign