News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

1974 Zodiac LCD

Started by DWL, March 28, 2011, 08:06:55 AM

DWL

Hi I wondered if you could help me with some information. I actually collect digital watches and run the digitalwatchlibrary.com. I have just picked up an 18kt goldplate 1974(according to your front page) Zodiac LCD. It has no buttons, just the recessed type for changing time. Thing is inside the watch these pressers don't reach or touch anything. Am I missing something? Also can someone more knowledgeable tell me anything about the module.
I would love to know anything about the watch, any original price, variations, adverts, production run etc, so I can add the correct information to the site. Its the first time i'd come across a Zodiac digital watch, its very well made as i'd expect for a 70s digital watch.

You are more than welcome t use the photo in your gallery if you don't have this version.

many thanks

Adam

Butch

I am sorry but I have never done anything with those. Is it possible that the movement in no longer complete? Too many watchmakers inside it over the years perhaps?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

DWL

Its fully working as for telling the time, just dont understand what the pushers are meant to be contacting. I did see another one on your forum showing the module exactly the same. I dont know about the rest of the Zodiacs but it looks as though the first digit of the the serial number indicates the year. I'm asking around on digital watch forums as its quite likely Zodiac used an Optel module and just fitted it into their own casing, this was quite common in the early 70s when the technology had only just arrived.

regards

Adam

reydelaplaya

Adam,

I have a similar model Zodiac Digital from around the same time period.  It has the same electronics as yours.  Mine may be the one you referenced in your OP.  Check closely at the end of the pushers, on the movement itself there should be two 'n' shaped golden wire hairs just a millimeter or two away that will contact the pushers when pushed-in causing a ground.  If the pushers don't seem to change anything when pushed, check to see if those wire hairs are bent close enough to make contact when operating the pushers.

I've enclosed a photo below with the wire hairs circled in red.

The only other thing I've found out about this digital was that the movement was made by NessTime - a now defunct electronic watch company that operated out of California in the early 1970's, owned by Gordon Ness.

DWL

Thats great thank you so much. Would it be possible to have a larger image of your movement so I can see exactly what Im meant to do. I'll add that information to the digitalwatchlibrary.com site as it would be  shame to lose it. Am I right thinking this is about 1974?

thanks again

Adam

reydelaplaya

Adam

Here is the best I can get with my camera.  Look closely at the pistons of the pushers.  Right behind them, but not touching, should be the wire hairs.

Size Comparison With SeaWolf
- rey

DWL

Thats great thank you. I have shorted the  two points and it does change the time so i'll just need to solder on some new pieces. Does yours work? I can see the lcd is shot but there's a strong possibilty the lcd was brought in from an outside manucfaturer.
Would you say yours dates to February 1976 (using Seikos dating system) or is it earlier than that?

kind regards
Adam

reydelaplaya

Glad to hear you got it to change the time...

As far as mine goes, the LCD is actually clear light grey, and doesn't appear to be shot, that's just badly lit photography on my part.  I have no idea if it works, as I decided not to risk frying the module by continuing to try batteries that weren't the right one.  Which one is running yours?

As for the date of manufacture, I really have no idea.  The best I could figure was that it was early 70's because of the stuff I found on the net regarding the manufacturer of the module, and that this bracelet was also used on Astrographics (I think).

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign