News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Winding problem

Started by Cock145, January 26, 2015, 06:27:08 AM

Cock145

. my problem is the crown is very tight when i try to manual wind, so tight i am afraid i will break something doing a manual wind. when the crown is pulled out, different story, very light touch to set hands. it IS a "push to set date" quick set. should i worry?! :pimp;
watson

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Cock145 on January 26, 2015, 06:27:08 AM
. my problem is the crown is very tight when i try to manual wind, so tight i am afraid i will break something doing a manual wind. when the crown is pulled out, different story, very light touch to set hands. it IS a "push to set date" quick set. should i worry?! :pimp;

There are two main things that contribute to the watch winding hard. 

1. The barrel itself.  Since these are sealed barrels and do not allow for standard cleaning and re-lubrication as your standard automatic barrel would, the original grease in these can get hard or dry up.  This is something we have to address sometimes with a service.  However, most of the time when this happens it may cause the watch to wind slightly harder than normal, but it would not cause the nearly impossible winding that you are describing.

2. The reverser wheels in the automatic assembly.  The reverser wheels are very fine and the teeth are easily gummed up/gotten dirty.  When the watch needs service, these wheels are often coated in dirt/debris or have gotten covered in left over solution from being improperly cleaned its last time.  Once they are dirty they have to be addressed or you will cause damage to the watch.  These watches should have some resistance when winding, but very hard winding means that if it is not taken care of and you continue to wind it you will strip or wear out the winding parts (crown wheel, winding pinion, sliding pinion) at any time.  They were not made to handle that kind of resistance.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign