News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

removing gold plating on a ss bracelet

Started by jon p, September 08, 2010, 04:57:49 PM

jon p

:'( guys, i really need some tech advice if any one has an answer. i have a nice bracelet with badly worn gold plating that really looks like crap!! is there anything that will remove it.  like something to soak it in to remove all of it. trying to polish it off just doesnt work. plating is only on top of the bracelet. would something like chlorine bleach work? it is a NICE bracelet but looks terrible now. it is a jubilee style. please help. i want to salvage this old bracelet if possible, it came on a nice glycine gmt2000 i just bought and this is a great watch. HELP HELP!!!!!!!

Butch

Dremal and lots of time is the only way I know of, and it usually looks like sh|t when you get it done anyway. Maybe someone else has had more luck?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

??? one of lifes big mysteries--the plating wears off but when you TRY to remove it it wont let go!! this is why i dont like plated watches, look great when new but even with gentle wear look like crap later.

reydelaplaya

Jon, there's a product called Strip-Free which is used reclaim gold from plated stainless steel electronic parts - this may be your best bet. When you google it, make it all one word with no dash if you wish to avoid all the online strip poker links (or maybe not ;)), just make sure you don't confuse it with the bikini-wax of the same name (Ouch!). LOL

- b

jon p

8) hey, thanks for the info, i will look it up. maybe that will do the trick.bracelet is original to the watch so i really want to salvage it if possible. it will look a whole lot better silver than worn off gold!!!!!    JON P

jon p

whew--sounds like some bad stuff to use after reading up on it !

dbluefish

Aqua Regia : blend of Hydrochloric acid and Nitric acid.

Maybe check with local high school chemistry teachers or local colleges.  It will strip almost anything but does not effect SS, if my chemistry memory is correct.

BUT it is a real bear and caution is advised, lol!!!!

paul

jon p

paul, thanks ! looks like everything is really dangerous that will remove that plating ! i dont like the sound of messing with acid !

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: dbluefish on September 14, 2010, 11:07:53 PM
Aqua Regia : blend of Hydrochloric acid and Nitric acid.

Maybe check with local high school chemistry teachers or local colleges.  It will strip almost anything but does not effect SS, if my chemistry memory is correct.

BUT it is a real bear and caution is advised, lol!!!!

paul

That is not how that acid is generally used.  Additionally, I would not advise anyone inexperienced try and use that if at all possible.  We use it in gold testing almost every day, but with stringent precautions.  If spilled while in a container in a car ( It has to be stored in glass), it will eat through the container the glass is stored in, then it will eat through your seat, then it will eat through the carpet or padding underneath, then through the metal floorboard, then onto the ground where it can destroy more things.  I know someone that this happened to, and that was after we told the idiot that he had to be very careful in how he transported it.  Dangerous stuff.  My suggestion is to have a watchmaker/jeweler polish the gold off the bracelet, with that style of plating it comes off really easily.

jon p

:o ultra---nuff said, sounds like some REALLY dangerous stuff--i will NOT be trying that! i have been working on it using mothers brand aluminum/mag wheel polish for car wheels and it is working, slowly but it is safe.i sit and watch tv while rubbing it and it is removing the gold. looks better already. this polish is FANTASTIC for polishing plastic crystals and stainless steel. thanks everyone for the suggestions !   by the way, i know we are here for zodiacs but does anyone have any info on a glycine gmt 2000 quartz watch with 24 hour dial? i bought it recently and i really love it but cant find any info about it. please dont shoot me for mentioning another brand on here!!!!!!    JON P

Butch

We would not shoot you for talking about another brand Jon. You COULD get drawn and quartered though for talking about a kortz watch though...

jon p

8) BUTCH--whew,that doesnt sound good, i was already ducking the bullets. now i guess i will have to run fast. i know it is a kortz BUT thats the only way this model was made. i think it is fairly rare from a short run around 1988-1990. it IS REALLY a sharp unusual  piece. it has "FALCON" on the back and i think it is someone who produced the watch after glycine stopped making it. 

Butch

Jon, I had a Drill Sergeant who used to say, "Reasons are only excuses in disguise.".

;D

jon p

:-\ drill sargents learned a lot in DS school, ALL of them had the same sayings. i have heard this one before!! how bout the one about female sheep!?  JON P

Butch

Ahhh, you know I am just kidding. Just being a snob I guess.

jon p

;D you are not a snob, you just feel strongly about kortz powered watches!!!!!! variety IS the spice of life.  JON P

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign