News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Olympos

Started by Yankees76, October 27, 2010, 10:03:24 AM

Yankees76

I haven't seen much on these in the forum here and to be honest my knowledge of this model is limited. I do know they're from 1964-mid 70's. Since they're from the 60's I would guess they're a very small watch by today's standards.

What is the difference in collectability between the mystery dial version and the regular version? What movement did they use for these (I'm guessing a 70-72?). Are they easy to service or is this something that would end up costing more to service than the watch would be worth?

And the big question - what would your first offer be on one, assuming the service history is unknown and it is in the shape of the pic below...

Please go nuts with your critique of the watch in the picture. The seller is asking what I think is a ridiculous price considering the shape, but again I'm not very familiar with this model.

http://www.timeclubromania.ro/ceasuri-joomla/images/stories/lucian_marcu/zodiac/zodiac_olympos_1.jpg

Butch

Actually one of my favs and I had a discussion on them early on in the main discussion area, see below. Posted a pic of it evolution over the years too. The case is the same and at it's widest point is approx. 36 MM and lug tip to lug tip is approx. 41.5 MM. It has a 7X movement in it, typically a 72.

The disc can be tricky depending on wear of the parts. The disc version is more valuable than the later but the quad dial later version can command a pretty penny too. Restored they can go for $300-500 depending on the buyer. The flat minute hand came out earlier than the pointed one.

The thing that bothers me about this one is that it looks like the guts of a yellow one had been placed into a SS one and a yellow crown added. Or is this just a lousy picture and it is all SS? There was a two toned model that came from the factory that was all yellow but had a SS disc and yellow hands, and the outer ring was yellow like the case. (I have one like that.)

I probably have about , exactly as a matter of fact, just looked, 5 of these in various configurations, including a matching set of Man's and Woman's in SS. 2 of the quad dial in yellow, and a mint SS disc version. Oh, make that 6, there is the two toned version I spoke of that is for a friend come Xmas. Ahh, WTH, I just took this pic of the two toned one. Also here are pictures of a restored quad dial and a SS disc version.

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php?topic=439.msg1096#msg1096
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Yankees76

Thanks Butch. The crown bugs me too - looks very much out of place. I'm trying to get more pics... he wants $300 for it. In conversation with him, he doesn't seem to know much about it - other than it was serviced by the dealer he bought it from in Texas and that it keeps great time and has a large reserve  ???

Butch

Probably more info than you or anyone else wanted, but as I said, this model is one of my favs. Looks good in a Tux too.

I hate giving up the TT for Xmas but he is an old Army buddy and has wanted one of these for years. Lord know he had done many better things than this for me over the years.

Yankees76

Quote from: Butch on October 27, 2010, 11:09:12 AM
Probably more info than you or anyone else wanted, but as I said, this model is one of my favs. Looks good in a Tux too.

I hate giving up the TT for Xmas but he is an old Army buddy and has wanted one of these for years. Lord know he had done many better things than this for me over the years.

No problem - the more detail the better!

A vintage Olympos for Christmas from a good friend is a great gift

Yankees76

Got some more pics from the seller which I'll post later tonight or tomorrow - it's definitely two tone - silver case, gold dial with a yellow crown. The crown doesn't appear to be signed (I'm assuming it's not original). Caseback is original. There are a few light scratches on the crystal and some regular wear on the case. Scary thing is he paid more than the $300 he's asking.  :o He's a nice guy who is selling his vintage collection of Omegas, Tudors etc., but I'm passing on it (trying to butter up the wife before I tell her about Butch's Sea Wolfs LOL).

Butch

I should be posting the black one next week I think. I want to get another dial for the white one though so it will be a while for that one.

Yankees76

Oh boy. Take your time on posting them...I just picked this Olympos up for $160 Canadian.  ;D I'm actually going to meet the seller and inspect the watch first though... I'll post the pics I got today when I get home after baseball tonight...

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign