News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

zodiac GMT

Started by jon p, January 20, 2014, 08:46:15 AM

jon p

my gmt starts right up when moved and keeps good time. my problem is the crown is very tight when i try to manual wind, so tight i am afraid i will break something doing a manual wind. when the crown is pulled out, different story, very light touch to set hands. it IS a "push to set date" quick set. should i worry?!

Ultra-Vintage

Yes, it is a concern.  When a watch gets that way you do not want to keep pushing it as you are likely to strip some of the winding parts.  There are three things that contribute to the difficulty in winding a watch movement like those in the Seawolf and GMT: condition of/lubrication of winding parts, resistance of mainspring in the barrel, and the friction of the reverser wheels against each other in the automatic assembly.  One or all of those is causing the issue, and it needs to be addressed.

jon p

thanks for your advice, i knew something was wrong. have to consider a service.

rdenney

Jon, my understanding (and what I feel and hear) is that handwinding these movements really spins up those reverser gears in the autowinder. Any undue friction at all in those gears will make it a struggle because of the leverage. I have an Ebel that uses the same ebauche, and it had the same problem with excessively stiff hand-winding. A service by BWG solved that problem. Considering the vastness of my Ebel collection (16 and counting between my wife and I), that vintage 60's model is really valuable in  my collection, and it's wonderful to have it working properly.

Rick "noting that Ebel used a recessed flush crown with the obvious intention that the watch would not be hand-wound" Denney

jon p

my other GMT ths been servived within 2 years hand winds very smooth / easy, thats why this one concerns me. UV hit the nail on the head, get it serviced and for now dont force it. WILL DO!!!

incountry

Thanks for bringing up this topic Jon.  One of my GMT's seems to be getting a little stubborn when I wind it and now I guess I know what I have to do with it.    :shuc

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign