News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Need help Identifying a 1973 zodiac

Started by Basil, May 30, 2016, 05:15:22 AM

Basil

My grandfather bought a zodiac in 1973, he claims the case is made out of platinum, can someone help me identify this watch model and materials used? it says SST 36000 on the dial. its very old. it does not look like other SSTs i saw on the internet, can someone help please?

Butch

I promise you it is not platinum. All precious metals have hallmarks on or in the cases. That one is probably marked Stainless Steel on the back.

That is a 70's dress watch. And as we don't see a lot of them I would say unpopular. Still. it is a nice looking family heirloom. Be sure to read the Watch Repairs tab before you wear it though.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Basil

Quote from: Butch on May 30, 2016, 07:56:01 AM
I promise you it is not platinum. All precious metals have hallmarks on or in the cases. That one is probably marked Stainless Steel on the back.

That is a 70's dress watch. And as we don't see a lot of them I would say unpopular. Still. it is a nice looking family heirloom. Be sure to read the Watch Repairs tab before you wear it though.

the thing is it doesn't say stainless steel on the watch, so what does the hallmark look like for a steel watch and for a precious metal watch. i say this cause the watch feels heavy like platinum. or maybe thats just how they normally weigh?

also the watch works fine! except when i come to adjust the time the crown isnt very smooth, and the power reserve isnt very good, doesn't last the night. what do you recommend i do?

Butch

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/watchrepair.php

Did you read this? If not, read it and still tell me is runs fine.

Can you post a picture of the back? Feel free to google platinum jewelry hallmarks.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Basil

Quote from: Butch on May 30, 2016, 08:42:55 AM
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/watchrepair.php

Did you read this? If not, read it and still tell me is runs fine.

Can you post a picture of the back? Feel free to google platinum jewelry hallmarks.
okay i googled the hallmarks, and there are none on the back of the case, i guess its steel.
and i have checked out the watch repairs section, i need to go get this watch serviced, problem is i live in west Africa, and finding someone to service a mechanical watch is close to impossible, so maybe in the future, do you think its a bad idea to wear the watch? it seems to keep time fine, power reserve is around 5 hours i would say. 

YuriyV

Constantly wear non serviced watch (dirty and dry of oil) for sure will ruin it pretty fast. It simply grind itself out inside.
I'd suggest to not to wear it before get serviced. Maybe sometimes on family occasions.
Consider to send it in for service overseas though. It is possible to service it for reasonable money.

Basil

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign