News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

just recieved a vintage Super seawolf 506.56.44 ...whats it worth?

Started by rkifla, July 10, 2012, 03:33:53 PM

rkifla

I just recieved a vintage Super Seawolf with stainless steel band 506.56.44    .  having a hard time valueing it . could someone give me an idea on its value and tell me what year it was made :helpme      it does not have a box or papers but in great shape, very light use.

thanks...

Sea Wolf

:welc

Something looks not right with the watch.

I have the same model and it looks like someone did something to your watch and it is backwards or something strange
has been done to it.

I don't know how it't even running?  Do you have any history on what has been done to it?

:wtf  Did you photoshop the pictures?
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Butch

It LOOKED like it has been re-engineered for a left hand wind. UV may be able to explain technically how that was possible, I would not have thought it left the factory that way... BUT!

Upon checking the 1990's catalogs at www.ZodiacCatalogs.com I find no model 506.56.44! I guess it is possible they made a left hand wind for special orders? Who know for sure? This is the first one I have seen and only a watchmaker would be able to determine if it is a legitimate factory model or re-engineered.

Interesting piece, thank you for sharing it with us.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

It could be changed after it left the factory no-problem.  Someone probably had it done because they were going to use it during a time that they would have something on their hand that the crown would hit or interfere with (such as heavy gloves, diving stuff, etc).  To change the position from left to right you would only need to change the dial feet position (or cut off the dial feet and use dial dots to hold the dial on in its new position, which is the case for the conversions of other dive watches that I have seen before) and the calendar wheel (as the original date wheel would show upside down on the opposite side and not line up with the window).

rkifla

That is very interesting. I didn't even realize it was a left handed dive watch. I purchased this watch from a very high end U.S. Marshalls auction with several other watches. It was listed as a 70's vintage zodiac ssw.  I took it to my jewler he could put a value on it but said it was authentic and he did'nt catch that it was left handed...lol  I'm right handed maybe i should consider selling it ? how many left handed SSW are there out there?

thanks for all your information...

rkifla

sorry... meant to say that my jewler cound not value it. Called him today and told him it was a left handed dive watch. he said that vintage left handed dive watches are very rare and high collectable. is there a way of appraising it or can someone give me an idea of its value...thanks

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: rkifla on July 11, 2012, 04:33:32 PM
sorry... meant to say that my jewler cound not value it. Called him today and told him it was a left handed dive watch. he said that vintage left handed dive watches are very rare and high collectable. is there a way of appraising it or can someone give me an idea of its value...thanks

Unfortunately that one is not old enough to be truly vintage yet.  Considering that it is a modern watch that someone has likely altered (ie not factory original), I would consider it less valuable than one that is all original.  Others may have a different opinion though.

Ultra-Vintage

Your caseback number of 506.54.44 (in the picture you provided) is identical to my regular right-hand wind model.

Butch

rkifla

opps :new on the subject line is said it was 506.56.44...actually  it's 506.54.44   sorry

rkifla

your right Ultra vintage... its's not vintage.   I dont know much about this watch.. and i have no idea of it's value.

just wanted say thanks again for all the input :ur

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on July 11, 2012, 08:52:06 PM
UV, is your model number 506.54.44 like his is?

Yep, mine is the same exact number.  I am wearing it as I type this ;D

Butch

Then it look like we are back to it being re-engineered for a left hand wind rkifla.

poulbrix

It is called a destro version. You will need new tooling for the date wheel, which Zodiac would be the only one to do.

jon p

rkifla

I called a zodaic watch repairer in New York .. he highly recomends this sight :agreei . they said it would be expensive to put back to right hand and that they would propably rather sell it as Left-hand...its rare and hard to find therefor worth more...

any thoughts

Butch

I would think so. I have found that there is a buyer for almost anything too.

rkifla

rkifla

Butch

rkifla

does anyone know how many of these watches were made . I saw online someone saying Zodiac made only 350...true ???

Butch

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign