News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac 86 SST mainspring

Started by lipoufski, September 17, 2020, 11:12:16 AM

lipoufski

I recently purchased a Zodiac SST watch fairly inexpensively, and I have completely disassembled the movement and cleaned it and inspected all the parts and all looked good.
For some reason I didn't give the mainspring a close look and thought I should look at it again and noticed a few teeth missing on the gear. Well now that I found the problem, I'm stuck with the issue of finding a replacement.
I've searched high and low and have had no luck. Is there anyone that sources these parts? Aftermarket?

Thanks in advance,

Al-

YuriyV

Al,
Stripped teeth indicate serious issues in winding mechanism. If you will source a new barrel, likely it will be destroyed again.
Service is required for the movement.
No aftermarket parts for these available unfortunately.

lipoufski

I've cleaned and inspected all the parts and nothing looks slightly damaged. The center wheel pinion is perfect.  Crown and ratchet wheels are good. All keyless works parts are good. It's actually kind of odd considering that the winding force is at the barrel arbor and the energy is transferred to the center wheel pinion and so on. I have a  couple of working SST movements, and I'll just borrow a barrel from. I'll reassemble and give it a gentle test. It takes a great amount of force to break those teeth off the main wheel. I'm thinking this was taken out and an attempt was made to open the sealed barrel. Only hope I can find a barrel for this. It's a shame that parts are getting so hard to find for these. I love these movements.

Any help locating a barrel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al-

YuriyV

I think your best option is to find a donor movement.
You need any 78, 88 or 86 caliber.
Barrel is marked "36". It means high beat version:

Buying donor for a part is always gamble. Especially 36 mainspring barrel. Due to higher tension, these barrel often show excessive wear, damaged teeth, and broken spring inside.
Good luck!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign