News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Input for a possible future film about Zodiac

Started by Grossisten, July 07, 2020, 02:01:35 AM

Grossisten

Hi everybody,

A part from loving vintage Zodiacs I'm a filmmaker by profession. I write and direct films and videos - mostly communications videos for big corporations and commercials.

I've been dreaming for a while about creating documentary films about vintage watches. Specifically I would love to do something about Zodiac.  Since members of this community are probably in the target group for such a film it would be interesting for me to hear what you would like to see in such a film?

The project is at a very early stage yet, so its pretty open, I do want to go to Le Locle and film in the area, talk to people who may have worked for Zodiac, historians, the director of the local museum, collectors, perhaps a watchmaker explaining a bit about Zodiac. But any suggestions from you would be interesting to hear as inspiration.

Now creating such films is not easy, it takes time and it takes money. So there is no guarantee it will happen any time soon. In the meantime I'm exploring very short formats - and right now I have an idea to do a "portrait" of the Zodiac Sea Wolf (probably starring the one example I have myself). I'm therefore also curious what would be interesting to you guys to see and hear in a very short video (60-120 seconds) about one watch? I'm sure you agree on the Sea Wolf, it being the most iconic of Zodiacs?

I appreciate any form of input so I hope you'll contribute to my process!

Butch

This sounds very interesting and ambitious. I wish you all the luck you will need.

Most newbies come to Zodiac for the Sea Wolf. Then many grow past it. Have you viewed all the info under the Information tab above? Did you join the other site and view all the literature there? There is much more to the brand than the diving watch. Its history is very rich and storied, with various models in the spotlight at each point in time.

:shakinghands

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Grossisten

Hi Butch,

Thanks!

I totally agree about the Sea Wolf, its just a place to start really. And it does have a position few other watches have as one of the most iconic dive watches of all times, so more people will probably be interested.

I guess one take-away from your input is that there are so many watches to show. And that a film on this topic should feature a fair amount of vintage Zodiacs. That may seem obvious... but I think carefully selecting which watches to include should probably be a priority. Almost like picking them for a museum. So thanks for that input.

I've studied this site quite a bit (only I haven't started on catalogues yet, I'll get to that) - and I grew up with Zodiacs (my father was the Danish Zodiac agent) so I am aware that there is much more to the brand. And I'm learning everyday.

Thanks again, please don't hesitate to comment further!

Soren

Butch

Grossisten

I've quickly brainstormed on what models to include in a film that represents Zodiacs story well. I've made a list based on partly what seems to have been important models and partly on what I know I can get access to filming locally (I don't own samples of all these models, this in itself will be a limitation). For me the story ends around 1978 with Zenith and quartz taking over even if a connection to the present Zodiac will make sense since they are doing a great job of bringing the designs back - and it begins around 1930ish when wristwatches are introduced. Not Zodiacs story obviously, but showing any watch pre 1940 will probably prove difficult as they appear to be very rare. So these are watches that could be included - please feel free to add or comment:

A LCD watch (the final chapter technologically)
SST (plenty to pick from)
Super SeaWolf
SeaChron
Other non-automatic Chronograph (tba)
Astrographic
Automatic Chronograph (the famous caliber 12)
Kingline gold
Kingline steel
GMT
Olympos
Sea Wolf
Hermetic
Glorious
Autographic
Pocket watches

What do you think - what would you guys like to see?

Butch

I think that is a fair coverage of the line sir.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign