News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Poor Man's Heuers

Started by Sea Wolf, October 02, 2012, 07:20:08 PM

Sea Wolf

Are these claims legit?

"As an introduction to the Poor Man's Heuers, have a look at these three chronographs -- one real Carrera and two Poor Man's Carreras. All were manufactured by Heuer, and the components are very similar in quality, but the Carrera was sold under the "Heuer" name, another was sold under the Zodiac name..."

http://www.onthedash.com/poormans.shtml
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Ultra-Vintage

I dont know about that one, I would have to see some real proof.  In Zodiac's case for example, I have a real hard time believing that during the height of their brand (1960's into early 70's) they had Heuer totally making watches for them.  They are pretty much basing their whole theory (atleast from what proof that I see on their page) on the fact that multiple brands had watches that looked identical or nearly identical.  They are also basing their opinions on the feeling that they believe Heuer was the center of the watch world apparently (especially in regards to chronographs), which is also not true. 

There are a couple of things to consider for the watches they have pictured:

-Heuer did not make the cases on any of the watches pictured, a company had a case manufacturer make them to their specification (that is why you will see various case manufacturer stamps and marks in the back of them)

-Heuer did not make the dials on any of the watches pictured, a seperate company printed them (that is why you will see them signed on the back by the company that actually printed the dial)

-Heuer did not make the movements for any of the watches pictured, the movement were made by Valjoux (the movements are manufactured by Valjoux, signed on the bridge by whoever they are intended to be used by, and then sometimes tweaked further by someone else either at the intended company or another outside firm to their specification)

Alot of this went on in the Swiss watchmaking industry at that time.  So, considering that there was so much of the work being done by outside manufacturers it only makes sense that those companies could make the same exact case, dials, movements for anyone.  The Swiss are horrible about copying off of each other anyways, thus you have quite a few models that look the same. 

If someone else made all of the components, they are saying that Heuer was the "Mastermind" in regards to casing them up for other companies??  They are telling me that when someone else made the components for them, Zodiac could not put together their own watch out of the provided pieces??  Uh huh ::)

Butch

What he said.

Does this mean that Gruen made the Super Sea Wolf???? OMG!!! Did Zodiac ever make anything themselves????? Just MAYBE.... Bulova made the Sea Wolf for Zodiac. Wait a minute, maybe it was Elgin. (Speaking of the Elgins, did you know that the singing group the Temptations were almost called "The Elgins"? But I digress...)

Anyway, there were (and are) movements makers, case makers, and dial makers. Always have been, always will be. Once one is made, it gets sold, with variations, to many companies.

As a reminder to others, the "modern" factory was built in 1951 of the new building located at 25 Bellevue, and expanded in 1966. Here is where the parts were purchased, brought in house, modified as needed, and assembled.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

tdn.dk

I have heard my Zodiac, cal. Venus 178 called a poor man's heuer, is that correct then?

Best Thomas

Butch

Search the forum for that phrase, it has been discussed at great length here.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign