News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Larger Seawolf

Started by rplace, October 15, 2012, 11:33:37 AM

rplace

I really like the look and history of the SW, but the couple I have owned just wear too small for my everyday liking. From time to time I see ones listed where the seller says the case is bigger than the typical 35mm. IIRC they all seem to have the shovel hands and not quite round case. Is there a particular time period (mid 70s maybe) when the seawolf got a bit bigger or were there just different models?

Looking through Butch's Watch Stuff/My Watches I ran across this beauty...

...it just looks bigger for some reason. Looking at the pix in the seawolf gallery http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/gallery/p7lsm_img_14/fullsize/01-SW-History_fs.jpg the first pictures seems to suggest that #9 and #10 are from 1975. Anyone know the size of these? If they are just a big bigger than the typical SW I might have to start hunting.

Thanks!

Butch

~40 MM excluding the crown and they are from the mid-1970's. The problem with this model is the bezel. The markings were painted on it and not inside indentations either. There are a couple in eBay right now, one with the paint all but gone and the other with a nicer bezel but the rest of the watch is in poor shape. Rarely does one come across a NOS bezel for this model either.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

:agreei

I have had and restored several of this model, and all of them had bezel visibility issues.  Just like Butch said, the bezels are pretty much impossible to find.  In 10+ years I have never seen a NOS bezel for one that I remember.  There is a model that uses the same case, dial, crown, and movement but a different bezel style though.  I just restored one that will probably be sold  :sho

rplace

Thanks for the bezel info guys. Is the painting on the bezel like a screen process? Seems like if people can redo the dials and numbers...some good some not so good...that a template could be made for the bezel. Clean up the bezel and re-paint it with the fresh screen. I don't have that sort of ability, but don't think it would be all that hard if you were in the biz of fixing up watches, just saying. ;)

If a PM showed up in my inbox with that other model using same case, movement, ect. I surely would not be disapointed.

Butch

rplace

I was thanking both of you for that valuable bezel info. Not having seen one in person I had no idea they were painted. They surely don't look like that in the pix I have seen. Not sure what the "room" comment was for. ::)

There seems to be quite a cottage industry out there fixing up and restoring old watches. Andy at UV seems to kick ass on Zodiac, Craig at Chronodeco is the master at fixing up Breitlings that look ready for the land fill. I was just thinking that if the demand is there for Zodiac Bezels, especially if you don't see any NOS ones for 10 years that a painting/screening process does not seem all that difficult to bring old favorites back to life.

Butch

It was a (bad?) joke man, about the undisguised selling and buying outside the For Sale area. No worries.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on October 16, 2012, 12:10:50 PM
It was a (bad?) joke man, about the undisguised selling and buying outside the For Sale area. No worries.

Noooo, I would not do that.  I was just saying that it may show up for sale soon on some type of internet venue, unless I decide to keep it that is!  ;)

rplace

Quote from: Butch on October 16, 2012, 12:10:50 PM

Wow, I guess we are all bad at interpreting other jokes and reading into their typing. I was just saying that if I knew the right model I might start my own hunt down the road. No intent to buy anything or trying to skirt the rules (no group hug emoticon  ;)) On a side note the one thing I don't like about the model in my original post is no cool Zodiac circle/cross logo up top. Why get rid of that?

What is a fair price for a mid 70s larger model but with the shovel hands and Zodiac logo up top with bracelet? There has been one for sale, I'm sure you all know it, for a long time...never seems to sell. Has that same painted bezel. Not in great shape, but not terrible either. I dig it but not for the price offered, after getting it serviced it would be rather expensive.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign