News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

value of GMT

Started by jon p, November 27, 2012, 08:02:34 AM

jon p

guys, i need somw help trying to get an idea of a fair selling price on my GMT. from what i can find it was only made in 1971, I THINK!!! if anyone knows more than i do PLEASE speak up. it is the GOLD BEZEL model and has the original JB CHAMPION gold TRIM full length bracelet. push crown to set date. dont know service history, but it runs perfect, dial is black , original and looks like new. great crystal. it has the 1970s blunt hands. a collector friend is wanting to trade me a couple of browning .22 rimfires for it, a rifle AND a pistol. i just have no idea of a fair "trade value" price!!! any ideas or opinions out there!? i havent seen the guns yet but if they are not REAL NICE condition i will pass.

Butch

What is the used value of the guns?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

smithrjd

One does not see the gold bezel model very often. Original band is a big plus. I would say $500 to $750 at least. To me it would depend on the Brownings, a nice Belgian automatic rifle, and a early target pistol then yes. A Buckmark pistol and a bolt rifle perhaps not.

Butch

BTW, I agree with Smith's valuation. That is why I was asking about the value of the guns.

jon p

:ur :ur :ur   thanks for the quick replys!! i havent actually SEEN the guns yet, i hope to in the next couple of days. from what he has told me the rifle is the browning standard grade BL22, the lever action. the pistol is a nomad, or maybe a challenger, he doesnt know so i will have to look at it to derermine which. i HOPE it IS A CHALLENGER,much better than the NOMAD. book value looks like in good shape about 250.-275. EACH.  the challenger is easy to spot IF you know to look for the GOLD adjustable trigger and bolt hold open lever. the challenger is worth 25.-50. MORE. i think i may be in good shape on a trade,even, no boot. i will let you know.

smithrjd

The BL22 is a good one, on par with the Winchester lever 22. The Nomad and the Challenger are good pistols kind of middle of the road. Like watches its down to condition. Love the 22's, my pair is a Model 12 BSA Martini and a High Standard Supermatic Citation.

abzack

:what  ...you're going to miss that GMT...   :shuc

Butch

Really! I was a bit dumbfounded when Jon asked this question, but, hey, it is his watch.

Maybe I should start a gun forum as we all seem to have one (or 20!).

jon p

:yeller  yeah, i still have mixed feeling about letting it go, i searched and never thought i would run up on one, especially this complete and beautiful condition,BUT i really enjoy target shooting--AKA plinking-- on the indoor range. i am approaching this trade slowly, if the guns arent pristine when i see them and scream take me home, i WILL pass for sure. i would probably have an easier time finding the guns later than another GMT!!! watch doest get much if any wrist time, but i do know it is there, if that makes any sense!?

jon p

:wehe :wehe      great idea butch!! if i am like everyone else i think an interest in guns and watches kinda go together for some reason!! i have been a firearms user and fan much longer than watches. both ARE FANTASTIC hobbies that i truly love. when you think about it BOTH are amazing mechanical devices.  all kidding aside, any .22 rimfire fan should be a member of the rimfire central.com forum, theres lots of good info there.

smithrjd

Yes rimfirecentral is a good site. Not there a lot, but do read it often. One of the very few places that know what a Model 12 is.. Nice High Standard section as well. My one other rimfire is a Sako Quad. My GMT alog with two others is off to BWG right now, should be back before Christmas.

jon p

you have a pair of real nice guns there, the HS pistols are a legend, wish i had kept the ones i owned back in the early 1960s! i just talked to my potential trade partner, now he has backed out on the BL22 lever, he got it for his sons birthday MANY years ago and decided not to trade it. he has a lot of guns so he is going to "see what else he can find"!!! we shall see. it better be good, he wants the watch a lot more than i want the guns!!!!!

smithrjd

I am not opposed to letting a watch go, in fact I have recently sold or traded two watches that I bought new in the '70's.
I traded my yellow racing bezel Sea Wolf to a member here for a like condition GMT World Timer. I sold my rather rare Omega "soccer timer" Chronograph to buy a new puppy. A litter of Black Russian Terriers came up from a breeder I know and had to decide right away. Some will be kept, my son really likes my Breitling Chronomat, so it will be saved for him. I've done the same with guns, but some will stay, the High Standard and the BSA are "keepers"

Butch

Well said. I often sell some to buy others. It happens.

abzack

I try to sell one before I buy another, in order to make room and raise funds.  Is that the difference between collecting and hoarding?  Good luck with the trade.  If it goes through, post some pics in the new gun forum... 

jon p

update on my pending trade. finally saw the browning pistol tonight, not a nomad OR challenger, an early 1990s buckmark 5.5 slab side!! my gold/stainless GMT wont be leaving home after all. i have a current buckmark 5.5" barrel with red dot, dont need another one. it is kinda a relief, i probably could  NEVER find another complete GMT like this, but i CAN  find  another browning pistol!!      :wehe ;D

smithrjd

The GMT is a lot harder to find than a recent Buckmark. Not a bad pistol, but then again not really anything special. Perhaps in another 20 or so years they will be collectable. Learned a long time ago it costs a whole bunch more to replace things that should not have been sold. Still interests change and things move on. 

jon p

:agreei :agreei :agreei    too bad it wasnt the older browning !!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign