News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Identifying this Zodiac Watch (triple-date moon phase)

Started by dmg1969, March 08, 2021, 10:29:44 AM

dmg1969

Hello all. New member from Pennsylvania here. I am trying to identify (and value, if possible) a Zodiac watch that belonged to my father. He passed away from COVID at the end of January and we are going through things and trying to value them for the estate.

I and my brother have done a lot of online searching and have only been able to determine that it is a Zodiac triple-date moon phase from the 1950s or 1960s. Someone on another forum indicated that it would be appealing to collectors because the dial/case is rare, the case is nickel instead of gold plated and the numerals are lumed.

Can anyone give me more information such as the model name/number, year of manufacture and degree of rarity? I would also ask about value, but I know that is very subjective. Thank you in advance!

Dave

Butch

I imagine that is stainless steel. It is in excellent condition and would make a fine family heirloom once serviced. Subjective is right but close to maybe $2G once serviced.

Getting a theme here?

https://www.vintagezodiacs.com/watchrepair.php

:welc
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

dmg1969

Thanks, Butch. Any guess as to the model name or number or possible year of manufacture? Yes, I may have to buy it from the estate.

Butch

A QUICK look through all the older catalogs and I did not see one exactly like this, but my guess is early to mid 1950's based on the hands.

dmg1969

OK. I subscribed and am looked through the catalogs, but only saw a few moon phase watches. None of them were similar to this one. I found some very similar online, but not exact.

One of the differences is the location of the word Zodiac on the face. On my watch, it is under the Day and Month. One very similar ones, it is below the moon phase.

Another difference is that this watch has lumed numerals. I haven't yet seen one online that has that feature.

I decided to carefully remove the back to see what information I could find on the inside of the back and on the movement. I took some more pics, which I am attaching. Can someone enlighten me on the numbers? I assume the 605 is the model number of the case and the 128 is the model of the movement? I really want to ID this watch....

Butch

You are correct on your assumptions on both numbers.

BWG, how does this dial look to you?

dmg1969

It looks to have some minor wear, but I am no expert. LOL.

PS. I just found the same watch in the gallery. Number 8 under Moon and Calendars.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on March 09, 2021, 11:27:37 AM
You are correct on your assumptions on both numbers.

BWG, how does this dial look to you?

My first thought when seeing the post yesterday is that the dial had been refinished at some point.  That is hard to determine 100% without seeing in person, but looking at a few cues it seemed to me that it had been redone in the style of "other" triple date moons, not exactly as Zodiac did theirs.  They did a really nice job on it, and it appears to have been done a long time ago (as to the fading of the date track), but not quite as original configuration.

As we have talked about before, the dials for the 3DMP's (especially early manual winds) are the most commonly refinished of all Zodiacs.  Due to their case design, most 3DMPs (from any brand) are about the least water resistant style of watch made.  More holes in the case, without gaskets, allows more opportunity for moisture to get inside if the wearer is not careful.  They are great watches, I really love mine, but you have to just keep all of that in mind when wearing them.

dmg1969

I JUST found out the history of the watch! Going through my Dad's laptop tonight, he had a folder of photos of the watch I had taken for him a few years ago. The description of the folder indicated that he had purchased it when he was on board the USS Newport News in 1949 (he was a proud Navy veteran). Now, I don't know if he bought it on board the ship from a fellow shipmate or if he bought it in port in the U.S or overseas. He was all over the world from Greece to Sicily to Turkey. My brother initially wanted it, but is letting me have it from the estate in lieu of other things he wants.

After things settle down, the house is sold and the estate settled, I may send it to BWG for a good cleaning and to get it running again. I alsomhave a 1937 Hamilton Sidney with a broken crown stem that Imwant to get repaired as it was my Grandfather's watch and then my Dad's...now mine.

Add: I live in Central PA and I know that Dad had it down to the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia for service at least twice. In fact, he donated 2 of his watches to the museum a few years back.

Dave

dmg1969

Did Zodiac make the 12S movement in this watch?

Ultra-Vintage, I have only seen one other that is exactly the same and it is in the Gallery here on this site. I know it's not my watch, so at least one other has to exist. I guess anything is "possible", but is it possible that this dial was a limited run or, as you said, someone refinished the dial on at least two? I am attaching a side-by-side of my watch and the one posted in the Gallery.

Cobber

Interesting, but how funny would it be if it's the same watch?

Butch, do you still have the serial number of this watch?

Butch

No I do not.

dmg1969

Butch, are you able to see who uploaded it? I was curious if they were still an active member.

Cobber, that would be amazing, but I doubt it is. My Dad bought it while in the Navy in '49 or '50...not sure where.  I think the only forum he belonged to was the NWACC forum.

Dave

Butch

I put most of those in the Gallery up almost 20 years ago.

dmg1969

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign