News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Help with date complication

Started by Green67, March 21, 2021, 03:16:12 PM

Green67

Hi everyone.  I just serviced a Zodiac that my father has owned for decades.  After servicing, the watch is running fantastic.  However, I'm struggling to get the date disc to turn correctly.  The watch has a cal. 86 movement which seems to have a quickset date feature.  Right now, it will sometimes advance using the quickset date and never advances when adjusting the time or allowing the watch to run naturally.  Is there a technical manual available for this movement or any tips that the experts here can impart on me? 

Butch

There is a search function above for questions like this that have been answered before.

See if this helps you out. https://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php?topic=1062.msg3837#msg3837
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Green67

Thank you for the response Butch.  Actually, I had tried a couple different search terms in the hopes of getting my question answered, but didn't come across anything that really addressed the topic.  At that point, I figured it probably best to just ask. 

Butch

Good. It can take a bit of perseverance. Did that link help you out?

Green67

Unfortunately, no.  But I appreciate the effort.  I imagine there has to be some detailed technical info out there somewhere. 

Butch

Can you post a picture of your watch?

Green67

I tried to snap a quick pic of the movement so everyone would know what I'm working with.  Hope it helps. 

Butch

Can I get a pic of the dial side? Trying to determine which model you have.

Green67

Here you go.  Not sure why its rotated.  Its not rotated on my computer. 

Butch

Let me apologize first, I thought you were have problems setting the watch, I did not realize you were servicing it. I cannot help you with that as I never do more than look at a movement. There is a service manual for the 36,000 beat SST movements on the other web site but I am not sure it will answer your specific question.

Green67

The service manual would likely tell me enough to know how to move forward.  However, I can't access it on the other site without buying a subscription, correct? 

Butch

YuriyV

Provided movement picture is too small. So I can be wrong. But I think you mismatched at least two screws and put them on wrong positions (see marks)

Butch

Thanks for chiming in Yuri.

Green, Yuri is the only guy I know here that services his own watches.

Green67

Are you sure about that, Yuri?  Anytime I service a movement I haven't serviced before, I snap a few before pics just in case I can't remember something when reassembling, and those two screws are definitely in the same position they were before I disassembled everything.  Not saying you're wrong, but it does make me wonder which way is correct. 

I went ahead and swapped the two screws anyway just to see if it makes a difference, and the result is the same.  Looks like I may have to ask my mentor when I see him next to see if he can offer any advice. 

YuriyV

To be more certain I'd like to take a look at better picture.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign