News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

1960s Sea Wolf just arrived this morning!

Started by TheWatcher, August 07, 2012, 07:46:54 PM

TheWatcher

So I finally found a Sea Wolf for my friend and it arrived this morning. I never had seen a Sea Wolf in the flesh before and it is not what I expected. Very neat and elegant compared to the huge driver watches of today. I like it! Unfortunately I will only have it until the end of the week...  :-[  I will polish out all the scratches and gouges from the crystal and change the strap for a green NATO one.

1960s Zodiac Sea Wolf - can anyone identify the year of manufacture?

All comments and criticisms are welcome! ;-)

Case Serial Number: 1288245

TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Should the bezel move on thsi model? As it seems firmly set at the position in the photos and can't be rotated. Is this normal or is it stuck?

jon p

looks like very early 1960s due to no "veins" on hands.  no way to get an exact date, all old records were destroyed long ago. it will need a good service, BWG is the zodiac GURU! i am SURE all the old seals need replacing, they usually turn into a sticky melted mess! it will be rigt when he finishes with it. i also have a date white dial with the later plastic bezel. the bezel should move but do not force it! years of dirt/grime lock them up. at least you wont loose it, they are famous for getting loose/worn and falling off! BWG can replate the bezel to look like NEW, there are some posts buried here of a replated one. bezel was the weak part of these, brass with chrome plating, and they wore vwey fast, steel ball clicker under there wore the soft brass. dont loose that bezel- hard to find and over 100. if you do locate one. BWG should be able to replace that crown with a correct ZODIAC CROWN.

TheWatcher

Thanks for the info Jon. I hadn't noticed that the hands were different from the later ones. I've been wearing it for the last two days and have to say that I really like it. It has grown on me alot. Just a pity that it's not mine and I'll handing it over at the end of the week to my friend. In the last two days it has kept perfect time.
I think that it does need a good service as initially it felt a little stiff to wind. Unfortunately I am not sure if my friend will get this done or not.... :-[
Who is BWG? Do they only do Zodiacs?

Thanks.

jon p

BWG is our forum watchmaker , check under repair heading for info. we all use him, he is great on ALL brands and is the guy for zodiacs. no one touches my zodiacs but him. he has also restored other brands for me, 100% satisfied.

TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Last night I stayed up until after 1am cleaning up this beauty. And sadly my friend came today to collect it. I had really gotten used to wearing it and it keeps brilliant time.

This is how it finished up:

As I received it:

Masked up ready for some abuse:

Frosted glass after 600 and then 800 grit sandpaper:

TheWatcher

Polished with acrylic display polish:

New army green NATO strap fitted:

TheWatcher

Butch

The hands give that one away, probably VERY early 60's.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

TheWatcher

orangecorallimorph

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php/topic,1326.0.html

Watcher,
Nice older Seawolf!! I posted this link to a thread topic we had a while back on these older Seawolf models. Maybe you read it? I am taking advantage of an opportunity to show off my favorite watch AGAIN. It is probably about he same age as yours.
Peace out,
Orange C

TheWatcher

Thanks Orange C, lovely watch in that thread! Or I should lovely watches! Great thread to have. It would be good to contunie such a thread with s/ns and rough years.
I miss that Sea Wolf as I wore it for a week before giving it to it's rightful owner. Man, I should have just bought it for myself!! ;-)

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign