News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

New Zodiac Owner -- A Couple of Questions

Started by wranglertrails, July 19, 2021, 09:47:58 PM

wranglertrails

Hi everyone.

First of all, I'm super happy about my new (to me) Aerospace GMT 752-934.  It is pretty good condition but by no means in mint condition -- which is fine by me because I like to wear my watches.

Questions:

1.  Does ZodiacCatalogs.com have the user manual for this model?  If so, I can just look up the following questions but it is cool to have responses anyway.

2.  Is there a max amount of winds to achieve full winding or is there some type of clutch spring which prevents over-winding?  I have a 70s manual pocket watch that I can feel an increased tension before over-winding.

3.  Is the bezel supposed to click or is it held in place by friction?  Mine doesn't click -- just bi-directional friction.  If it is supposed to click, would mine be fixable or is it one of those things where I leave well-enough alone?

4.  Any ballpark figures of how much an original (or period correct) bracelet would cost if I find one?  Again, I wouldn't want it to be in mint condition -- just functional.  It didn't come with an original strap/bracelet so I'll be looking for one for a while.

5.  Any ballpark figures of how much a signed crown would cost?

Thanks for reading.  I've learned a whole bunch already and I appreciate all the helpful input in all the other threads I've been reading.

Butch

Quote from: wranglertrails on July 19, 2021, 09:47:58 PM
Hi everyone.

Questions:

1.  Does ZodiacCatalogs.com have the user manual for this model?  If so, I can just look up the following questions but it is cool to have responses anyway.  YES

2.  Is there a max amount of winds to achieve full winding or is there some type of clutch spring which prevents over-winding?  I have a 70s manual pocket watch that I can feel an increased tension before over-winding.

3.  Is the bezel supposed to click or is it held in place by friction?  Mine doesn't click -- just bi-directional friction.  If it is supposed to click, would mine be fixable or is it one of those things where I leave well-enough alone? It should click, there is a ball detent for friction.

4.  Any ballpark figures of how much an original (or period correct) bracelet would cost if I find one?  Again, I wouldn't want it to be in mint condition -- just functional.  It didn't come with an original strap/bracelet so I'll be looking for one for a while.  :lafing Thousands lately!

5.  Any ballpark figures of how much a signed crown would cost? They can be found on eBay for ~$50.

Thanks for reading.  I've learned a whole bunch already and I appreciate all the helpful input in all the other threads I've been reading.   :welc
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

wranglertrails

Awesome.  Thanks Butch.

Regarding the bracelets, that's fine by me.  If my wife ever asks how much I spent on the GMT, I can show her one with an original bracelet and tell her how much of a bargain I got.  Lol. :rofl

Butch

I always say that after I'm gone if my wife sells all my watches for what I told her I paid for them she will never know how much money she could have made.  :shakinghands

wranglertrails

Just a couple more questions of you have the time...

1.  What size bracelets are people getting for these?  My lugs measure 17.4 and 17.6mm.  It came with an 18mm rubber strap but I want to get a period correct bracelet for now.  17mm or 18mm?

2.  I read in another post that the crown is 4.5mm (Butch's response to Yuri).  I can get one that is 4.6mm x 3.76mm.  Is this a correct crown for the Aerospace GMT or should I keep looking?

Butch

Sure thing, see below.

Quote from: wranglertrails on July 27, 2021, 12:29:29 AM
Just a couple more questions of you have the time...

1.  What size bracelets are people getting for these?  My lugs measure 17.4 and 17.6mm.  It came with an 18mm rubber strap but I want to get a period correct bracelet for now.  17mm or 18mm?

2.  I read in another post that the crown is 4.5mm (Butch's response to Yuri).  I can get one that is 4.6mm x 3.76mm.  Is this a correct crown for the Aerospace GMT or should I keep looking? Probably, if it fits the tube and the tap size for the stem... But what's the point? If you do not get one from a watchmaker that has replaced the gasket inside it it will just let water into your watch...40 year old NOS, even used, crowns are pretty useless unless the gasket is replaced.

YuriyV

Quote from: wranglertrails on July 27, 2021, 12:29:29 AM
2.  I read in another post that the crown is 4.5mm

Standard crown for these 5.5mm diameter. Tube - 2.5mm

Butch

I stand corrected. I just measured a NOS one and it is 5.5MM, don't know what I was thinking.

wranglertrails

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign