News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

apology, and Aerospace GMT questions

Started by smithrjd, May 23, 2012, 10:27:25 PM

smithrjd

Put what was basically an add in the wrong place. My bad will not happen again.  :-[ Anyway I have been wearing the Sea Wolf and have decided to solve my need for a GMT watch with an Aerospace. I have never had or held one. Many different ways of operations with a GMT watch. Is the GMT hand in an Aerospace independantly setable seperate from the hour and minute hands? IE a second pull out on the crown, or perhaps a counter clockwise turn? Or does one have to roll the bezel. Looking at one of the early (I think) Aerospaces with the metal bezel. Dark on one half light on the other. I have seen these look like brass, chrome, pot metal, and perhaps cad plated. What is the metal bezel made of? Painting the numbers should not be an issue, but correct metal color might be an issue. Normal paint wear and some marks on the bezel. From my car and motorcycle restorations I can Cad plate if needed. Just not sure what is correct. 

jon p

:ur     GMT is just a sea wolf with a 24 hour hand. hour hard cannot be set to a  different time on the zodiac.  it indicates the military time on the bezel. now, bezels--- solid metal or late plastic inserts AND the rarer solid gold one. the metal ones are like an early SW, matt finish chrome plate over brass. our watchmaker  does a beautiul replate on these, they look like new! if the plastic ones are damaged there is no way to restore them,sadly. you wil see some of the plated ones with the plating removed, .hope this helps, there are usually some gmts for sale, try to get one already restored, it can get really expensive i f you get one in poor condition. look for one with the oiginal bracelet.

Butch

Jon describes how to use the the 4th hand for military time.

You can also use the bezel for an hour offset to track a second timezone. When working with the UK years ago I used a GMT hand to track their time. You see, by my lunch time they were going home for the day, so I only had 4 hours to get to/from them what I needed. When I looked at where the 4th hand was pointing to on the bezel I knew what time it was in the UK.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

dmh

Well, that takes care of the Aerospace GMT rather well. Now if someone can explain how to use the World Time, I'd appreciate it.
Best,
dmh

Butch

London would be -5 hours. You have to know the hour offset that corresponds to the cite on the bezel.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

smithrjd

Well thank you for the explaination. I was hoping that they would be setable. One can use the bezel however. Do these have a standard offset? I suppose BWG could set the 24 hour hand for what ever I might want. Will have to think about that. He did a great job on my Sea Wolf, and I know they can be expensive to repair. Mine was good on the outside, not so good on the inside. Running great and looking new now.

jon p

:ur :wehe           butch, great description, i had not thought about the method you describe!! it would be helpful in that situation! plus the red 4th hand just looks "kool"as hell, people ask me what it is for a lot!! i have an older model that has the real skinny hour/min hands and the neat red arrow tip gmt hand.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign