News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Help with an old Zodiac

Started by keithtr, September 07, 2020, 07:03:49 PM

keithtr

Okay forum - I'm hoping someone can identify this one for me.  My grandfather started the Clebar Watch Company and became the sole importer/wholesaler for Zodiac in the 1940s.  This was found in my father's effects after he passed this may.  While I've seen many zodiacs over the years, haven't been able to identify this one yet... would love some help.

Kind Regards,

Keith Trauner

Butch

Hi Keith,

Looks like a Glorious but it has been redialed. Hope all is well.

Butch
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

keithtr

yes, looked like that to me but seems earlier.  also possible it was a prototype - we had a few of those in the family.  I still have a Zodiac with my three-year old face on the dial that was made as a possible "premium" item for corporate incentive sales.  Let me know if you have any further thoughts...

Kind regards,

Keith

Butch

Well, to be honest I have not seen one with those hour markers. Maybe one of the others have though. The 2 tone dial and construction screams Glorious to me. The dial had definitely been redone, or was not done right the first time.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Grossisten

Hi Keith,

I was happy to read your post - I feel I can relate somewhat, since my father was the sole importer of Zodiac to Denmark for about 30 years. He also left a few interesting Zodiacs. I'll share some photos if your are interested?

Best regards

Soren Chr. Andersen

keithtr

Sure!  My grandfather and father represented Zodiac in the US from the 1940s to the late 1970s or so.  They also were the importer/wholesaler for Vacheron Constantin for a number of years - of course, the 1970s was a long time ago!

I'll try to dig out the watch I mentioned.  It's pretty funny to see my 3 year old face on a watch dial.

Kind regards,

Keith

Ultra-Vintage

I agree with Butch.  It is in the style of a Glorious, but I have never seen that minute/marker track either.  I can only see some of the dial, and nothing is 100% sure unless it was in hand to check out, but it could be an original dial.  It looks more crisp than most refinishes, and the Zodiac font is correct (which most refinishes are not, or they use a Zodiac signature from a different model or era).  So with the history and your grandfathers association with the company it is possible that it could be a prototype, or a model that was never put into full production.

keithtr

Thanks for the comments.  I'll post some better pictures after this coming weekend when i have it in my hands.

Kind regards,

Keith

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign