News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

to set date or not set date-this is the question

Started by jon p, June 08, 2011, 10:24:29 PM

jon p

:-\    :-[   i want to get some expert opinions about a question that is bugging me. i dont usually wear my automatic watches more than a day or two before i put it back in its case and wear something else. i had a watchmaker tell me many years ago to forget about setting the date on a non quick set model due to the extra wear you subject it to cranking the hands around, especially if you have "a long way to go to reach the correct date". quick set is different story. i guess its an anal retentive thing but i hate to have the wrong date even though i may not even refer to it!! i have about decided to leave the date alone unless it is only a day or two off. i sure dont want to put un necessary wear on any of my watches. i know, this probably is a weird topic but i bet someone else out there has at least thought about it. thanks for allowing me to get it off my chest.

Butch

There really is a plethora of information here; just in small nuggets that have to be mined.

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/watchrepair.php

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

dawej

Yeah, it kind of hurts a bit to set the date like ten days forward, only to then wear it for a day or two. But to answer your question, yes, i do set the correct date.

jon
Perhaps you should get some more watches, so when it's time for a specific watch to be worn again its already set correct!  :)

jon p

;D butch-i had already mined that info, thanks. dawej--good response, i have about 80 watches so that will work!

Butch

Sorry? Then your question confuses me.  My bad, reread it, there was no question.

TJW

I am no expert(though I did see a commercial once about a guy who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express :)) but I think we should all ignore the date on our watches; it's bad enough we see time marching on in 12 hour intervals(or 24 hour for the Jet guys) do we really need to be reminded we are a full day older every time that date indicator flips over? The answer of course is no.  IGNORE THE DATE!

p.s.  Can you tell I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks?

Butch

Funny thing, that date setting. Try it with a Day/Date!

I pulled this one out to wear today (am I in the wrong topic?) and it said Tuesday the 17th. After winding it the full 24 hours 5 times to get to Sunday, I then wound it once back to 8 PM and back to midnight flip it to the 23rd once. At this point I decided   $#%&  it, the 23rd of last month was a good day, I have no idea how the 12th of this month will turn out yet.

And this is one of the few watches I can actually SEE without my reading glasses too man.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign