News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Another Kingline

Started by Oliver, October 27, 2011, 02:37:00 PM

Oliver

Hello Zodiac collectors,

I've just bought another Zodiac Kingline, and in very nice condition it is, too. I know that some sellers use the word too much and too easily, but I would say that the condition of the watch is almost NOS, it loosk really stunning. There is only one thing which bothers me a bit. It has a quickset date mechanism, the date advances when the crown is pushed. But it is not possible to push the crown permanantly, after the date has been set. That means that the crown might get drawn by something and then pulled out completely  :o. The seller told me that he had several Zodiacs and all had this mechanism, so it should be alright. Can anybody confirm this?
And a question relating to the bracelet. It's original and has the Zodiac markings. Between the clasps, it has the numbers 9-78 (maybe 9-76 or even 9-70, difficult to read) pressed.Is that the date of production?

Any help appreciated!

Butch

Nice looking watch! The band is fine. Is the crown signed?

Not following this statement though:
But it is not possible to push the crown permanantly, after the date has been set.

The way that works is if it is before 8:30 PM you can push the crown and flip the date. Once for every push. So I could push it 29 times and get 29 date advances. The crown should always pop back out after a push. After 8:30 PM though the watch is preparing to flip the date at midnight and some mechanism could interfere with a push to change the date.

Hope this helps.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Oliver

Hello Butch,

thanks for your help! First, no, the crown is not signed. Should it be signed originally?

Sorry if I did not make it clear what I had meant. You know I'm German and it's difficult to describe it. What I mean is that the crown cannot be pushed inside after the date had been set. Usually you pull the crown out, set the time and then push the crown in again. But with this watch, the crown is permanently about 1 mm away from the case (except when you push it to change the date). Maybe it's just how it should be, because otherwise it wouldn't be possible to change the date. So it always looks like shown in the 1st and 2nd picture. It only looks a bit strange when the crown is not close to the case when you wear the watch.

Do you know when this type of watch was produced? Am I right with the date on the clasp?

jon p

:agreei :agreei :agreei :agreei      :welc    the crown will NOT go in flush against the case, the crown standing slightly away from the case IS CORRECT , my GMT is exactly the same. you can always spot the quick set looking at the crown. there is a gold/ss sea wolf on ebay now that is easy to spot even though the seller doesnt mention the feature!  i really dont care for it because it can be pushed in and change the date. i, like you worry about catching the crown on something and doing damage to the crown or stem. we just have to be careful when we wear them, they are 40+ years old AND kinda FRAGILE!  enjoy and honor your old zodiacs, there will never be any more made like these are.

Butch

All is correct Ollie and it is from the 1960's per the catalogs. You put to set and then it pops out and sets away from the case. And yes, the crown has been replaced with some aftermarket one, the original was signed.

Oliver

Dear Butch & Jon,

thanks a lot for your help. I like my new Kingline a lot and it's good to hear that everything is ok with the crown as well. It's my first watch with that kind of date mechanism and I just wasn't sure about it. I once had an Omega Constellation (cal. 565), and with that one, you had to pull the crown to change the date.

jon p

that IS a beautiful watch, i really appreciate the clean uncluttered dial, GREAT CATCH.was the JBC bracelet on it when you got it? another plus for sure! i felt like you about the Q/S crown when i got my two tone gmt, i thought in the sellers photos had the crown out to stop it for photos-a lot of people do that to not blur the moving hand. when i received it i tried to push the crown in and wala--the date changed! i think the Q/S started early 70s, not positive though. i would RATHER pull out the crown and turn to change the date. just an odd little featur of zodiac, i guess.

Butch

Jon is correct (it happens). I was thinking Goldenline when I said 60's, my bad. Upon a closer inspection I also saw the 36,000 mark and took a closer look through the catalogs. I found this exact model in one of the mid-1970's catalogs and it even mentions the quick set date feature as well.

The catalogs help to keep even me honest.

jon p

master--grasshopper got it right, you have taught all your students well! thanks for the kudos.

Oliver

Thanks for your comments! Yes, Jon, the watch came with the original bracelet. It is also in excellent condition, like the watch head. And if the watch was presented in one of the mid-1970-catalogs, it would confirm my thought about the numbers on one of the connecting pieces around the bracelet clasp (either 9-78 or 9-76, difficult to make out).

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign