News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

The watch in the movie Zodiac

Started by JDS (Ohio), December 05, 2011, 04:35:05 PM

JDS (Ohio)

I'm probably the last of the bunch to finally see it, I can never seem to find the opportunity to watch it all at one time.  However, I did finally get to see the scene in Zodiac where they interview their prime suspect, Arthur Lee Allen.  One of the cops notices his Zodiac wristwatch, and asks to see it.  The camera gets a nice close up shot of a '60s white dial Sea Wolf 20 ATM.  The dial looked pristine, though it looked like someone went a little overboard on polishing the bezel (see the screenshot below).

So, did the watch used belong to one of us, or someone we know?  And if that was a restored dial, I'd sure like to know who did it.

John

Sea Wolf

I recall a thread about this in the past with more photos of the watch and a description of Butch's role consulting for the movie.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: Sea Wolf on December 05, 2011, 04:43:03 PM
I recall a thread about this in the past with more photos of the watch and a description of Butch's role consulting for the movie.
Come to think of it now, I vaguely remember it too.  I'll have to page through later, and see if I can find it.
John

Sea Wolf

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: Sea Wolf on December 05, 2011, 06:30:38 PM
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php/topic,1131.msg4186.html#msg4186

Oh good grief, and I had even posted a response on that thread myself!  I think I'd better go get tested for early onset of Alzheimer's.   ::)

I did enjoy watching what I could of the movie; I was in my early-mid teens when the Zodiac killer was getting all the press, so it sort of took me back.  I even got a kick out of the factory break room the interviewed Allen in; it really reminded me of places I worked in the mid 70s to late 80s - makes me nostalgic for shop green paint and the smell of oil and cutting fluid.
John

Lint007

How close were you able to come in identifying the watch worn by Allen? I'm a bit of a Zodiac (killer and watch) nerd so I've always been curious exactly what his watch looked like.

jon p

:agreei :wehe      if i remember correctly, butch loaned them the watch to use in the movie. maybe he will jump in and give us the details.

jon p

looks like the bezel was polished TOO  much and then plated. when you remove the factory dull plating you end up with a brass bezel.

Butch

Sorry, I have nothing to add to this that I have not already said here before.

Given the number of "amateur detectives" out there, the Internet has proved to be a real pain in my ass. As the old saying goes, if I had a nickle for every email I received from one of them I would be rich.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

JDS (Ohio)

Ah, but Butch, did you ever actually say who you thought was the killer?  :laugh:  Just yanking your chain dude. 
John

Butch

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Iktomi

Although it's a very nice watch I really wish they had neglected to put this part in the movie. Zodiac isn't a very well known brand so all it's really done is sort of tarnish the reputation of Zodiac in a way. Just my 2 cents.

jon p

naw, the majority of movie goers would not have a clue about what a zodiac watch is, and would not even care! just my opinion.  :dancingbanana;

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign