News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Chrono circa 1971

Started by 28800bph, January 04, 2012, 10:14:38 PM

28800bph

My father-in-law showed me his vintage Zodiac over the holidays.  I took it home to take some photos and have a look at the condition of the movement.  He got it while serving in Vietnam -- he traded an alarm watch for this chrono.  It was originally purchased at a Navy Exchange and is ~1971.  It was a daily wear for many years.

Does anyone know any further info on this particular watch model?  I noticed a picture of the same model in the reference gallery.  Specifically I'm curious what year this came out, and if the model range had a name (like the SeaWolves, Olympos, or Astrographics).  The model number on the case between the lugs is 7823.  Maybe it had a catchy name too?

It looks like a great candidate for restoration.  I found the movement is a Valjoux 7732 rebadged as a Zodiac Calibre 84.  It runs in spurts and appears in decent condition.  The pushers are missing.  The case does not have any deep scratches, and the acrylic should polish up nice.  The dial and hands look great.

I'm a regular on several other watch forums, and was glad to discover this site and forum.  Lots of great info!  I think I might have caught the bug for vintage Zodiacs now. 

JP

Zodiac Chrono 1971 by jp28800, on Flickr

Valjoux 7732 (Zodiac 84) by jp28800, on Flickr

Sea Wolf

:welc

Nice looking Chronograph.  That is pretty much all they were called, Zodiac Chronographs with a description of the watch.

Butch and others know more about the particular movement.

That is worth having restored.  Click on Watch Repair if you want more information on our trusted Zodiac watchmaker.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Butch

A quick search shows this model to be in at least one of the catalogs in the 1970s series on ZodiacCatalogs.com.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

28800bph

Thanks for the info!  Too bad there's no catchy name for this model.  But I suppose it could be called a "Zodiac Panda" for the dial color scheme (à la AP ROO Panda, Speedy Panda, Daytona Panda, Luminor Panda, etc.)

orangecorallimorph

Hello and welcome,
That is a very nice chronograph my early 70's catalog calls that 4571 Chronograph white dial and 4572 chronograph black dial
My dealers list price sheet puts that watch's suggested price at $125.00.
Get that beauty fixed at the watchmaker known through this site and you will be thrilled with the outcome. Enjoy the ride and by all means,
Keep it Real- OC

28800bph

Thanks OC,  Interesting stuff.  Inflation adjusted $125 purchase price in 1971 would be $698 in 2012.  Were these typically sold at a heavy discount below MSRP back in the day (like most watches are now)?

I was curious, has anyone here switched out their Zodiac acrylic crystal for a custom fitted sapphire crystal?  I suppose anything is possible for a price.  Though especially expensive for a domed profile.

TJW

Nice looking watch. I didn't know they could custom a domed sapphire for you. Let us know how that goes if you do it.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign